Nother name change thread

This thread is intended as a registry for those who decided, like me, that while subscribing to SDMB to go ahead and change their username while they were at it. I hadn’t liked my username in a long time, and this was just the push I needed to finally change it. Anyway…

Nichol_storm is now Mississippienne.

Nice name, Mississippienne! It would seem you’re going for the “most double letters in a user name” title.

If you contact the mods, you can probably keep your old post count and just get the name changed.

The new name is super-cool, by the way.

I’m thinking about it. Among the contenders:

furtigan

Dancing Pantless

Workin’ for the Man

As a former Mississippian, I love it, I love it, I love it!
Of course now I’m from Alabama. Boy, talk about culture shock!
Anyways - so if someone comes along with AlabamaMan as a name I have to leave you.

Folks, this ain’t the way to do it.

It’s ONE screen name to a customer at a time. More than one screen name at the same time means you run the risk of being thrown off the board in ALL screen names. We don’t care if you paid or not, dammit.

Secondly, we’re not making any name changes unless and until you sign up as a subscriber.

As soon as you do become a “Charter Member,” you are entitled to one name change if you have not made one before. After that initial change, it takes a really good reason to ask for another one.

Please send me an email AFTER you have subscribed asking for a name change and I’ll get it taken care of.

That’s TubaDiva@aol.com. Please send the email from the same address you signed up in, give your old name, the name you want and maybe one or two extra, it’s first come first served on names and we got a lot already taken.

I’m happy to help you. You do your part and we’ll do ours.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

What is a ‘really good reason’? I understand you don’t want people requesting a nick change everyday or whatever, but I can’t seem to think of a really good reason for wanting it changed.

Not that care. I’ve had the same name for almost four years now. (Unless you count that underscore thing which, really, I don’t. I mean, it’s still the same name and everything…) :smiley:

Names are serious things, not like today’s fashions; one name today, another name tomorrow.

This has always been our policy here at the Straight Dope. We want you to have a screen name you like, but we’re not going to change 'em for you like fashion accessories.

We encourage people to pick a name they find meaningful . . . and live with it.

This is especially true if that name has already been changed; after the first time, there has to be really good reason. The most common reason we’ve let people change a second time is a change in marital or relationship status, something of that magnitude.

We’re especially aggravated if you abandon a previous name and sign up with a new one. We usually throw both names off when we find them.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

God, I’m a nuisance…

So does the removal of the underscore in my name (Silver_Fire) technically count as my one name change without a good reason?

I post on another Forum, and much to my horror I discovered someone posting on there calling themself Lobelia … that’s not on … :frowning:

No. Send me an email and I’ll do it.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator.
It’s an editorial correction.