Notre Dame-BYU, non religion student body?

I would like to know how many non-Catholics go to Notre Dame and how many non-Mormons go to BYU?

I would think that BYU is about 99.999% percent Mormon while I would think that Notre Dame probably has a 10% percent or better Protestant student body. I think this because ND is an excellent school with a legendary athletic tradition, while BYU is in a small state in terms of population where the wide majority of the people are of the Mormon faith.

Has anyone here ever been of another religion in a religious sponsored school? (please no, I was a long haired headbanger in a fundamenatlist high school story)

Interested as always.

Well, the attached link doesn’t tell you the percentage of non-Catholics at Notre Dame, but it will give you a pretty good indication that a huge chunk of the student body is non-Catholic, and that the University tries hard to accommodate the needs of different religious groups.

http://www.nd.edu/~issa/For_New_Students/Getting_Settled/Practicing_Faith/Text/Practicing_Your_Faith.shtml

In most respects, Notre Dame is a pretty secular University.

Here’s some info for BYU.

I met a girl at BYU who wasn’t LDS but chose the school for its Hebrew program. (I didn’t keep in touch with her, so I don’t know if she stuck with it). Most of the non-members that I ran into were either athletes or grad students. I did have at least one professor who was not LDS.

Anecdote time! And really, who doesn’t love anecdotes in GD?

One of my best friends in high school was a year older than me, and LDS. When I was a senior in high school, she was a freshman at BYU and I went to visit her. She’d asked me to go to church with her on the Sunday I was there, and I initially assented, but on Sunday, I was too tired and changed my mind. My friend lived in a gigantic dorm, and I ended up wandering around. There was one other person in the dorm.

ONE! Out of like, hundreds! And she was sick. Or I would have been the only person in the entire huge dorm not at church.

Before that, I had been interested in going to school there. Provo is very beautiful and BYU is a good school and I was having a very nice time visiting my friend. After that experience, though, I changed my mind. I didn’t think I could be the only person in a dorm while everyone else was at church every week for four years.

at BYU, most of the non-Mormons are members of sports teams, especially the football team.

Was digging through ND’s webpage, and found this:

http://admissions.nd.edu/campusculture/spirituality.cfm

My experience as an ND alum is that it’s probably close to 75% Catholic, but certainly not more than that. Anywhere between 60-75% would be accurate.

I thought this page would be the clincher, but sadly, it doesn’t seem to have any specific number, which I really find odd. I seem to recall numbers for this sort of thing being released - they must have pulled them for some reason.

I’m currently a graduate student at ND. My understanding is that 75-80% of the undergraduates are Catholic (although that might be slightly high). When you consider only the graduate students/professors, the number drops significantly - although I’d expect that it is still above average. I have no idea what the religious affilitation of athletes is. I’d also not automatically assume that the non-Catholic students are Protestant.

As an atheist, I have been pleasantly surprised by the fact that personal religious preference is almost a non-issue. I have had interactions with some - how shall I say - more evangelical students/professors that were distateful, but then I’ve experienced worse when I lived elsewhere and had Jehovah’s witnesses knock on my door to proselytize.

To be honest, the biggest difference between ND and other schools I’ve been to is the constant, almost subconscious, inundattion of religious iconography. For instance, Paul Hoffman gives an anecdote regarding Paul Erdos in his book “The Man Who Only Loved Numbers” (I’m paraphrasing here) - when asked about his time at ND, Erdos replied, “Beautiful place - and so many plus signs”. Another anecdote - a member of the administration was walking by a systems administration class where the professor was discussing the “SATAN” network packet sniffer tool. The professor was told (later) that the slide was not appropriate and to modify it.

All in all, I’m incredibly impressed with the academic standards; I believe that the graduation rate for athletes is in the high 90 percentage.

Ivar: Care to post a citation for your statement?

jkramer3: A knock on your door is worse than distasteful?

I’ll assume I’m not just missing some humor and take your question seriously. You seem to have left out the “to proselytize” part. Implicit in that is that an actual conversation takes place. Well…to be more precise, the Witnesses attempting to make me “see the light” while I try to politely make my disinterest/disagreement known. To be even more precise, it’s the unacknowledgement/repetition that is distasteful.

Better?

definition on entertainment:

An atheist attending a private Catholic university.

Monty Python couldn’t sketch it better

What an odd response - that reaction is why I answered the original question in the first place…

jkramer: Nope, you’re showing yourself as, well, kind of silly. If you find a conversation with the obvious intent of getting you to join a particular group distasteful, don’t participate. In other words, don’t invite them into your place and shut the damn door instead.

Hmm - responses get curioser and curioser. Some might consider it a personality flaw, but I make an honest attempt to avoid being rude. If someone knocks on my door, I open it and greet them. (Greet in the sense of “Hello, can I help you?”, not in the sense of “Please come in and make yourself comfortable - I’ll serve as the proverbial doormat for you to walk all over.”) Once I realize who they are (or, more importantly, what they’re after), I try to extract myself from the conversation without being rude. I expect people to acknowledge this, bid me “Good day”, and be on their merry way. The fact that some people don’t is distasteful. If they persist past the point that I consider rude, yes - I do shut the “damn door”.

It’s not clear to me why the concept of appropriate social conduct - that is, being civil to a stranger until it is apparent they are rude - eludes you. Although I’d suspect that you also conduct yourself in a civil manner - you probably just have a lower threshold for reacting than I do. Perhaps my level of tolerance is “silly”, but it has served me well thus far.

Let’s see…polite hypothetical conversation at the door:
[ul]Visitor: Greetings! May we discuss our faith with you?
You: Thanks, but I’m not interested. Please enjoy the lovely day as you stroll down the street to your next destination.
Visitor: Thanks. {Said to the closed door}[/ul]

I was wondering how a freaking knock on the door could be distasteful. Actually, it kind of leaves a very small field for whatever it was the other groups did since you described the knock on the door as you did.

Heck, if you find the knock so bad, get one of those intercom devices and don’t answer the door unless you recognize the person there & wish to speak with that person.

Ah, if only conversations followed such a standard and easy-to-use template. Golly gee, Monty - that sure would be swell! Unfortunately, they more often compare with this sequence of posts.

At any rate, I’m closing the door now. Good day, sir.

You got a door on your home, don’t you? Or perhaps you have one of those nifty magical disappearing “Where the hell is the damn door when I need it” model? Or maybe the JWs brought their own door and put it up so you’d hear the knock?

I went to school at Villanova University (Catholic), and while I don’t know the numbers, there were very few people without ash on their forheads, come the start of Lent. The only students I knew whom I knew to not be Catholic were foreign.

I don’t think that there was any religious pressure (though I’m not in a position to say), but there was official recognition of Catholicism in many ways. The ubitquitous “plus signs” jkramer3 mentioned, the cafeteria menu during Lent, the religion courses required of all students, the church in the middle of campus, the buildings named after saints, etc.

At a Catholic school? I’m shocked. Shocked, I say!