Now that we got 'em to enable polls...

I haven’t noticed any performance problems except for database errors in searching, and those would be no big deal without the five-minute “time out.”

That is not really the same - you are describing a capability that you would never use. But if board performance were generally better, you would get the benefit automatically. If going to a forum was 25% faster, it may reduce from, say, 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds.

I suppose that the original wording of the OP was directing people to issues that “need attention”, and it is fair to ignore the performance option under that criterion. I just took it as a simple question: would you like the board to go faster, yes or no? Who would not answer “yes” to that?

Ditto.

I’d also like optional avatars.

How about “Remain solvent”?

One thought along these lines:

There are some instances where images IN the posts, as opposed to linked images, might be useful. I can think of any number of GQ threads where a sketch-map diagram would have clarified what took paragraphs and multiple posts to get resolved.

I am not sure this particular concept would be possible, but some forums on other boards, and some problem users on other boards, are in “moderated status” – a moderator must review and approve a post before it becomes visible to members other than mods. and admins. If you permitted images to be embedded with a file-size cap and only when needed for clarification of a question – and Jerry is able to configure the database so that embedding an image triggers moderated status for that single post, then you’d have the best of both worlds: images for those occasions when a picture replaces a thousand words, and sufficient control to prevent abuses like Goatse or the multimegabyte 2048x4096 hi-res picture of someone’s new kitten that would trash both display size and board performance.

As I said, I don’t know if this is possible – or if the mods. would be willing to take on that extra duty. But it’s worth at least thinking about, and maybe asking if it’s feasible to implement if staff decides it’s a good idea.

In a perfect world, I guess I’d like a faster site. But this isn’t a perfect world, and I’m of the minority opinion that anything that makes TPTB ignore us and let our little world spin around without them is good. If we demand more and more, they might just throw up their hands and shut the whole thing down.

Also, like said upthread, I remember when it took minutes to open a thread. I’m quite happy with the board speed now.

That seems a bit odd to me, since a ban on certain words seems to work well enough. True, there might be the occasional troll who comes here and posts an offensive picture, which stays up exactly long enough for a moderator to delete the post and insta-ban the offender, but I’m not sure that that’s such a big deal, especially is there were a way to make image viewing optional, so that people can choose for themselves whether or not they want to run the risk of being confronted by lame shock-pictures.

Well, that would, if what I have in mind could even work, still be your user experience, if you chose not to enable picture viewing.

As for board performance issues, I do still sometimes get minutes of loading time before a thread is opened, if the board doesn’t decide to opt for the ever-popular database error instead. The little dot running around in that circle must have accumulated quite a mileage by now!

Why doesn’t the “Don’t be a jerk” rule apply to images?

If you call someone a cunt, or show images of goatse, you get a mod warning. I don’t see the difference.

I also don’t see how the “possibility of abuse” is not “abundantly clear” to all the other boards with image support.

Finally, some threads just scream for image support, e.g. the Doper picture threads: As it stands, one has to click on 300 links to see all the photos. If they were inline, it would be so much more convenient.

Because someone calling someone else a profanity isn’t quite as well detected by coworkers/family/random-people-in-whatever-public-place-you-are-in as a giant goatse pic?

I usually get on the SDMB once a day, maybe every other day. I haven’t had the board time out on me in at least a year and a half.

That’s a big part of it. If you’re at work, and the company is OK with you surfing while you’re on your lunch break, or even surfing during a slack period, it’s one thing to have the browser open to a wall of text. A co-worker or boss isn’t likely to be offended unless they happen to peer over your shoulder and read the profanity. Having a huge pic of goatse on your screen, though, can be easily seen from across the room, even if the onlooker wasn’t really trying to see whatever you’ve got on your monitor. It might also qualify as harassment, I don’t know.

Plus, once you’ve seen goatse you can’t UNSEE it. Og knows I’ve tried. No amount of brainbleach seems to help.

You ask for much, grasshopper.

I voted for getting rid of the 300 second search delay. I understand it that it might be risking lag. Why not take it off 5 seconds each week and assess board performance at each iteration?

I voted to get rid of the delay and to remove the language restrictions in the Pit. I’m happy with board performance and would rather see a big thrust behind a couple of issues rather than spreading ourselves over a heap of different things.

I’m dense. I don’t understand the percentages. 74.81 percent of what?

There were 131 people voting…of those 131 people voting, 98 of them, which is 74.81%, voted to remove the 300 second delay in search.

It might help if you know that it is a multi-chioce poll so people can vote for more than one item. That’s why the percentages don’t add up to 100.

Ah. Thanks both of you. That 'splains it.

My Other: Let the Charter Members sponsor Guests. I’m lonely.

I live on the other side of the world from the majority of members - when I’m doing my browsing, most of y’all are asleep. The only time I have board performance issues is when I foolishly try and visit the boards in the late afternoon/evening.

I’m content…