Nuclear War is it really coming?

Normally yes. But by some strange cosmic phenomenon it also develops ***on the inside ***of your avarage tent and your sleeping bag.

No, we just got the date wrong. Hundreds of thousands of times. But eventually we’ll be right, and then you’ll see!

So is there going to be an apocalypse or not? All the beef jerky and dehydrated fruit in my shelter ain’t gonna last forever.

by my calculation ~ 722700 days have passed since the original ‘any day now’ speech.

I’m allergic to mildew. Is overdew some sort of genetically modified, sentient, super-mildew?

That’s rather a narrow view. There’s also some bad advice in there too (like not eating shellfish or pork, mixing milk and meat, treatment of women during their menstrual cycle, etc). And many of the bits of advice are assumed to be common knowledge. Your own example is a good example of this. The actual parable is about building a house on sand as a metaphor for faith. Jesus relied on his listeners to already understand that it was a bad idea. It didn’t explain it to them already, because it assumed his listeners weren’t idiots.

Basically, asking people to sift through such a dense tome is like giving somebody the OED to teach them English. They already have to have some notion of “good idea/bad idea” for that to be useful.

That is, most people around the world already have the “good parts” and reading the Bible doesn’t really add much valuable practical advice beyond what you get from a self-help book in any bookstore (and these books are often cheaper and easier to read, to boot).

Now, if you’re arguing on the basis of faith and truth, that’s a different matter. But that’s more about proselytizing than practical advice.

Aye, there’s the rub. Pick out what you like and discard the rest. You’ll forgive me if I pick out different parts than you do. I think I’ll discard the parts about keeping slaves, beating your wife, destroying your animals and killing your children. Not to mention the ridiculous and impossible astronomy. Or is that the “great advice” part?

Considering the fact that even Satan can quote scripture, I don’t think it really matters WHAT you pick. :cool: :smiley:

Getting good advice from the Bible is like getting Shakespeare from a roomful of typing monkeys. It may be in there, but it is hard to find.

The Apocalypse will not be televised!

(Actually it probably will be.) Excuse me while I go off singing, “Hello Mom, I’m Off to Drop the Bomb.”

Awfully lousy witnessing there, Okie. At least have the guts to stick around for your abuse.

Nuclear war…

If it’s actually over DEW, some of us are going to be vaporized in a matter of minutes.

No way. Every page is packed with advice for getting along with people and building a better society.
It’s mixed in with lots of detritus, sure. But the nuggets are there to be mined.

nuggest covered in crap still smell crappy - most of the OT about “getting along with people and building a better society” included genocide, wholesale destruction of cities, infanticide - killing anyone that didn’t believe the way you did - after all “you were part of GODS chosen few”

1 Samuel 15:3 - genocide, infanticide
Genesis 19:24-25 - wholesale destruction of cities
Deuteronomy 17:2-5 - killing the unbeliever

It’s all right there, what part of killing babies don’t you get?

What do you expect from bible thumping morons?

You can’t call another poster a moron in this forum. Don’t do it again.

You left out my favorite bit of child killing, the story with the bears. :mad:

But what part of the point I’m trying to make don’t you get?
Don’t murder.
Don’t sleep with your neighbor’s wife.
Don’t steal.
Don’t bear false witness (there’s no general prohibition on mistruth)
It goes on and on. And then there’s the carpentry advice. A book worth studying, even with the miracles.
I wish the Jefferson Bible was more popular. But without bears, why would it be?

Except in cases where God tells you to murder. Or in cases where someone accidentally kills your friend. Then you can murder to your heart’s content.

Unless you are a king. Then you get to do it and still be judged righteous.

Unless you kill the owner first. Then you get to steal all his stuff, and rape his daughter.

Unless God tells you to. The it’s fine to lie to anybody.

It certainly does.

Indeed. And what carpenter can make a living if he doesn’t know how to cure a house of leprosy?

As previously noted, the book is filled with so much hatred and erroneous crap that it’s only worth studying as literature/history. As a guide for actually living your life it’s worthless because it excuses almost any behaviour, and the signal to noise ratio is so low that you can’t reliably detect the true bits unless you *already *know what they are.

Besides, it’s redundant. :stuck_out_tongue: