Nuptuals off when friends decline to pay for $60,000 wedding

People at the Onion are kicking themselves for not writing this.

Yeah, that being she is insane. Lucky guy - except that they have a kid, so they are kind of stuck talking to each other.

Her cousin isn’t very nice. She republished it after the “bride” only put it up for 15 minutes and she thought the cousin was drunk when she posted. Yes, it’s nuts, but putting it up again after the author thought better of it is a bit mean, no matter how awful the original was.

Well, I don’t really watch much, but it sounds like she achieved Kardashian levels of stupidity. If not, she was definitely closing in on real housewife of something.:smiley:

The only way it’s acceptable to ask for $1500 in my world, is for bail.:rolleyes::cool:

Funny yet depressing, accurate of many weddings I’m sure, confirms our worst thoughts about people but…I think fake.

My opinion is that it is as fake as a plastic Rembrandt.

Are there bridezillas out there? Of course there are. Was that “facebook post” written by somebody trying to go viral? Also yes.

Someone who has an unusual degree of foreshadowing for things that would be happening to her a lot in the future.

I have to third this. These sorts of things nearly always turn out to be pranks/jokes. It seems awful convenient that the only evidence of this is “screenshots” of a missing original post. The article is poorly written as well.

I don’t think that word means what the author think it means.

If no one was ponying up, how did she manage to reserve all the venues and contract with caterers/DJ/flowers/whatever with no payments - surely this was all done more than 4 days before the wedding? Then there’s the dress and all the associated accessories.

Yeah, gotta be fake.

Wait, Rembrandt didn’t carve… oh, never mind.

Strikes me as bullshit. I went to Fox News for that? My 4-year-old nephew writes better than that, and with more imagination.

I did particularly enjoy the part about how a “local psychic” told them to do it. :rolleyes:

Fake news.

I think tomorrow I’ll come up with something, post it, and see just how far it will go.

Notice how all the sites linked to this are click-bait?

If you want to read her original psycho post, hereit is. It’s worse than I even imagined.

I agree that it’s fake. I’m suspicious, for one thing, of the timing of the release of this. The Facebook post (which seems to have the dates obscured) from the bride says that she’ll be in South America in October and November, so I assume this occurred in September. So why was it released only now?

The article said they had saved up $15k on their own already.

My cousin got married in Greece. Everyone kept asking me “Is it a ‘destination wedding’?” a term I’d never heard before.

No. Her mother was Greek. Half her family was in Greece, and half her family was in the US. She made the tough decision that it would be easier for Americans to travel to Greece than for Greeks to travel to the US, what with funds being frozen in Greece at the time (there was a 200 Euro/day bank withdrawal limit imposed on virtually everyone, and that included transfers, so if you didn’t have a credit card with a high limit, you couldn’t buy an international plane ticket unless you planned well-ahead, and paid for it in cash). You also needed to get a visa for travel to the US if you were Greek, but not the other way around.

Personally, I welcomed the trip. I went with my mother (my son stayed at home with his father). It was my mother’s last big trip, when her cancer was in remission. She had a wonderful time, and I had a wonderful time. Two years later my mother was dead. I didn’t know she would live only two more years at the time, but I did know she was sicker than she let on to virtually anyone. After the Santorini wedding, we spent three days in Athens.

I met many peripheral people in my cousin’s family I had only heard about. It was very enjoyable, and I had always wanted to see Greece.

I don’t fault my cousin one bit for that decision. Sure, she had lots of friends who probably couldn’t make it, and it was a small wedding, but it was very nice, and she seemed happy. And many friends from the US did, in fact make it. Both her brothers made it. Our grandmother did not, but her health was poor, and she probably would not have made it unless it had been held in her hometown.

She is a really kind person, with nothing like an inflated ego. I hate that she gets lumped into the pile with the “destination wedding” types, and the bridezillas who expect guests to finance a royal wedding. It was a very simple, and poignant wedding, that was short, and a lovely reception, in a nice, but not opulent restaurant.

I don’t believe that she thought it reasonable for every guest to give $1,500 as a wedding gift. If you’re in such wealthy circles that is what people normally spend on wedding gifts, then either the bride, groom or either of their parents would be able to afford a $60,000 wedding on their own. Instead, in the story, the groom’s parents offered only $3,000.

In my experience – and I’m in the industry – “destination weddings” tend to be for couples who want a quieter, smaller wedding with close family and friends. At least among my clients, that’s a feature, not a bug and part of the reason they might have a destination wedding instead of a local one. All the couples I’ve dealt with know that destination weddings will severely curtail the attendance, and that’s a good thing for them.

Anyhow, the reason I think this is fake is because it is just so perfectly written and so over-the-top Onion-esque poking at every Bridezilla and wedding stereotype that there is absolutely no possible way I believe such a person exists. As in, every single line in that Facebook post is crafted to provoke. I sometimes have a dim view of my fellow humans, but not this dim.

For those thinking it’s fake- If I had a phone recording of the crazy tirades loosed by my sister, you would figuratively drop over dead.

Far worse, over far less. Laced with so much hate and crazy, it was stunning.

I got no trouble believing it. I’ve heard it for reals. And not just me. My mom, brother and wife all got a butt-load of it, too. We can’t all have imagined it.

It’s not that it’s over-the-top. It’s just that it pushes every single button just exactly so to maximize the piss-off factor. It is too neatly and thoughtfully written, IMHO, to be real. Sure, I know plenty of self-centered nutbags, too. But this doesn’t ring true because it’s just too perfect.