Nutrition, Diet and Low Carb diets

nbc 4. KTLA I think? I’m just visiting so I don’t know the stations here. Maybe I’ll still be able to catch it before I go…

I’ll ask my hosyt to tape it.

Bush decided not to scrap the salmonella testing for schools. Good idea :slight_smile:
Zero toloerance.

I waited to see the darn thing. Took so long and was a bit disappointing. They promoted the story but when they got to it it was so fast hard to remember details. What I got out of it was they put some people on 2 diets, forgot the number of people but not too many, I think less than 100. 2 Week diet.

Standard lo cal diet vs. High protein diet.

Both groups lost same amount of weight.

High Protein lost significantly more fat than lo cal.

Lo Cal dieters lost more muscle then High Protein dieters.

Then they added a note at the end that it was shoot, not 100% sure of the numbers anymore but I think 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat. But it MAY have been 40% protein, 30% carb and 30% fat. I do remember it sounded like the zone diet.

Geez, a 2 week study. Something as simple as that can be carried out by anyone. Who’s this cecil guy? He can organize it with us guineau pigs…

From WebMD:

"There are no exceptions to the above rules during the first two weeks, because Atkins considers it important to keep the carb consumption low to “jumpstart” the weight-loss biochemical activity of the diet. You’re not counting calories (in fact you may be eating more calories than you were before).

"Later, the carb allowance is upped, but you do not return to eating refined sugar (by the teaspoonful or in desserts), milk, white rice, white bread, or pasta made with the dreaded white flour. Those remain on a life-long list of forbidden pleasures. "

I think this is essentially what you said, but it is also what I said. A strict 2-week period and then the carbos are upped. (The diet in its “strict sense.”)

IMHO this proves nothing (which is how it looks that you took it) - just another jump on the low carb bandwagen to boost ratings, how disappointing and expected. It was intersting about the fat vs. muscle loss though. The old argument (or one of them) was that low carb diets cause muscle loss. I don’t hear much of that one any more.

Also It probally played here hours ago since I’m in hte eastern timezone

Also 40% carbs (the zone) or 30% is not a low carb diet and doesn’t cause ketosis - However it works for people who can stay on it.

And from the atkinsdiet.com website:

Induction is not recomended long term by Atkins but induction is not the only part of the diet. Induction ensures that you deplete your glycogen stores and start producing ketones. It also allows you to find yoru CCL (critical carb level) which will determine how many carbs you can eat and still loose (or maintain) weight. Even in induction you still take in as many as 20 g carbs/day so even it the strictest form atkins is a low carb diet not a no carb diet.

I’m on day 6 of the diet and here are my anecdotal observations:

1. I eat a lot, still hunger for carbs, but feel better when I take the digestive enzymes.
  2. If I were to eat half the meat I do but add some carbs to it I would feel miserable and gain weight. I have in the past so I’m pretty confident about it.
  3. Going off carbs feels like a detox from rec. drugs must…Something is definitely going on and I get the impression that my body has been getting way too much insulin over a period of many years…
  4. Staying on this diet will probably be easier than any other I’ve been on. But it won’t be easy…
  5. I can tell where my weight is by my watch. Despite eating a lot, it’s gotten lose finally by today. Of course I’m sure it’s water loss, but that’s ok.

well the hard part is about 1/2 over, It will be easier after the induction phase. Adding carbs now will basically negate your induction so stick with it. Many people have expressed detox symptoms when going on induction suplements help.
Good luck

Thanks, I’ll make it. To tell the truth I’m trying to eliminate probably more carbs than I should. The reason is that it’s like smoking, if I take a little itty bit of bread, I know I’ll break down and have a cake!! If I take my carbs in something stupid like a bar then I’ll think what a waste of carbs, I coulda had a little itty bit of haagen dazs. So I have as little as possible, sigh :slight_smile: .

I just went for my first rollerblade session since this diet. GEEEEZ. Last week I was going 15 miles in an hour 25 minutes. Today I struggled through half that distance just dying and arriving much worse than when I did double the mileage. Definitely no glucose in my blood :slight_smile: . Will that part ever get easier? Do I need a gatorade when I run or something?

During Induction normal activitied will be harder - this should soon pass. Remenber you are going through withdrawal too. Suplements will help also. As for gatoraid - no that’s just sugar water (with lot’s of sugar) If you want some electrolyte drink try pedeolite ‘which is for infants’. It contains far more electrolytes then gatoraid much less sugar and tasted pretty good (get the grape flavor) but also expensive. Would only recommend it though when doing an activity that is going to last more then 2h and not during induction. This way the sugar that is in it will get burnt.

Once I found an ‘pedeolyte’ powder which used nutrasweet instead of sugar but I can’t find that brand any more.

This question wasn’t really inappropriate for GQ, and there were some good factual info. posts along with the opinions and anecdotes. I think it might get more responses/personal stories at this point in IMHO.

If it’s killing you, I suggest dosing yourself with some slight carbs before exercise. When I was in induction, I would eat a packet of peanuts (which doesn’t have a lot of carbs, really) about 15 minutes before jogging. Gives a little boost and helps smooth out the whole workout (without negating its health benefits).

I don’t like recalling an old thread, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t cite info given in * Health Gazette *, April 2001.

(Italics mine.) I know it refers to the AA as being more often overweight, but this is food for thought (no pun intended). The body is made to handle carbos. Your hunger is affected by the blood sugar, etc. Even assuming, only for the purposes of argument, that what Atkins say is true (you will lose weight and won’t suffer from ketoacidosis, etc.) there are other health factors to be considered. I don’t wish to debate this any more. I’ve said my thoughts.

That was some good info barbitu8. I’ve come to the conclusion that you are right that the body was made to handle carbos. And the more natural the source, the better, iow, the less processing we do, the better the carbo for us. Fruits, Veggies. I still believe in the carbo-insulin connection, and think that after all the types of foods we eat, or the combining of protein/fat with carbos around everything is bad. So eating carbs less often together and as a smaller part of the diet seems like a good way to go and is how I plan to take my version of this diet…

Fruits & veggies will not lead to diabetes, and it’s not “the way to go” to cut down on them. You’re right about natural. Natural veggies contain a lot of phytochemicals. There are numerous studies demonstrating the benefits of all kinds of phytochemicals. Obesity leads to diabetes, not carbos.

Moreover, healthy means also being fit. You cannot exercise without carbos. I expend over 3000 calories a day and sometimes nearly 4000. I need plenty of carbos for that and I do not hesitate to ingest carbos. I do, however, avoid sweets, such as cakes, etc.

After performing a search to find this old thread, I’ve discovered that there have been similar threads in both GB and GQ w/i last 30 days. Since I haven’t read those and have posted here, I decided to continue here on info I just read in *Nutrition Action Letter *. It states that to cut your risk of diabetes, lose weight if you’re overweight, engage in physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day, eat whole-grain breads and cereals, and eat more fruits and vegetables.

That is nothing new, but people on this thread advocate avoiding carbos since it leads to an insulin surge which results in diabetes. Hogwash.

[Q} {B} Whole grains seem to be protective, possibly because they’re higher in fiber and magnesium… Fruits and vegetables are also great because they’re high in magnesiu, potassium, and fiber… Preventing diabetes really comes down to lifestyle in modifications like maintaining a healthy weight, staying physically active, and eating a heart-healthy diet. ** {/Q]

Above being quotes from Harvard’s JoAnn e. Manson in the May 2001 issue.