NY AG Letitia James drops the (civil) hammer {On Trump & Family} [9/21/2022]

You mean after the sedate and civil political atmosphere we’ve enjoyed these last few years? Perish forbid. :roll_eyes:

It’s the ol’ but what if we don’t gambit.

It’s not hard or complicated, if you’re willing to just fucking lie about everything. Any of us could do it, were we sufficiently amoral.

So, if you’re looking for his “superpower”, well there it is: He’s an amoral liar. The best amoral liar anyone ever seen! A big strong con-man came up to him one time, and with tears in his eyes said, “Sir, I’ve never seen any able to lie amorally better than you!”

Trump has filed a suit to stop James’ lawsuit. The only thing is, he filed it in Florida. I don’t think Florida law can affect a lawsuit in NY. Gift link:

Did he file it with Judge Cannon?

What a gratifying story this is to read. Looks like NYAG James’s efforts are really beginning to bite.

When Boris Epshteyn is your “best” attorney, that’s a bad, bad day.

I’m sure he wished he could. But “Loose” Cannon is a federal judge and this lawsuit was filed in a state court.

Filed in a state court? LOL! Oh, right, like that court would have any jurisdiction over another state’s legal proceedings.

Well, it’s in their playbook. Don’t you remember how the Texas AG sued about the way four other states conducted their elections?

A lawsuit, unfortunately, our Arizona AG joined in.

Ah, but that was the state itself suing in the U.S. Supreme Court over a federal election, and it got tossed out. This is a suit brought in a state court by a private party trying to meddle in another state’s business. Can you say “frivolous”? “Abuse of process”?

As did our Kansas AG. Now he’s running for governor.

Ours tried to get the R nod for Senator but was beat by an even bigger MAGAt who T**** endorsed.

At the very least, it should be tossed as being filed in the wrong jurisdiction.

The crux of the issue seems to be that The Trump Organization is controlled by a trust agreement, which trust includes estate planning information Mr. Trump does not believe he should have to disclose. To that extent he has a point - although the Trump Organization has assets in New York, New York has no business looking through which descendant would receive which assets when Mr. Trump dies.

I don’t understand why the trust administrator cannot simply censor the estate planning portions.

I also don’t understand why he isn’t challenging the subpoena directly. Or is A.G. James somehow able to issue an interstate subpoena without being subject to Florida’s courts? Don’t they need letters rogatory or something to issue the subpoena in Florida?

To the question of jurisdiction. The primary theory of jurisdiction advanced is that

1. A.G. James’s actions in the New York civil case (paragraphs 97 and 102 in the complaint) show an actual request for a copy of the trust agreement (exhibit A) and supposedly intent to obtain “a preliminary injunction to restrain and supervise […] President Trump’s Florida revocable trust” (paragraphs 97-98); and

2. A.G. James’s request for a copy of the trust agreement or supposed intent to obtain a preliminary injunction to restrain and supervise the trust constitute acceptance or exercise of a delegation of powers or duties from the trustee of a Florida trust (this premise is UNSTATED in the complaint); and

3. any person who accepts or exercises a delegation of powers or duties from the trustee of a Florida trust, whether the person is a citizen or resident in Florida or not, submits to the jurisdiction of Florida courts (paragraph 24, Fla. stat. 736.0202(2)). Therefore,

4. A.G. James submits to the jurisdiction of Florida courts.

I don’t think point #2 is proven to my satisfaction. Maybe an actual lawyer or paralegal can clear this up, but I don’t believe requesting a copy of a trust agreement can be construed as “accepting […] a delegation of powers or duties”. It could be argued - but the complaint does not do so - that the person making a copy of a trust agreement is duty-bound to maintain the document’s confidentiality, which duty is delegated to the recipient of the copy. But this duty would only be “accepted” when the document itself is recieved, unless it is accepted explicitly in writing beforehand. A.G. James hasn’t received a copy of the trust agreement yet, so how could she have accepted a delegation of power or duty from the trustee? And if she hasn’t accepted a delegation of power or duty, she definitely hasn’t submitted herself to the jurisdiction of the courts in Florida. If she hasn’t submitted herself to Florida’s jurisdiction, how can Florida issue an injunction against her?

Relying on intent to obtain a preliminary injunction to restrain and supervise the trust is even less solid for the same reasons.

This is before even getting to potential full faith and credit considerations or traditional minimum contacts doctrine, both of which are considered part of the federal Constitution and thus carved out from the above linked Florida statute.

~Max

That’s amazing! THat’s going onto Facebook :slight_smile:

It’s already there. But go ahead and spread it.

Ivanka has got her own lawyers, no longer relying on the same team that her brothers, Dumb and Dumber, are using.

Don Jr: “Ivanka, why are you wearing a knife on your hip?”

Ivanka: “It’s one of the latest fashion accessories for women; shows I’m a true independent, strong woman.”

Eric: “Gee, it looks awfully sharp.”

Ivanka: “That’s the point - shows I’m in control.”

Don Jr: “Oh, that’s neat.”

Ivanka: “Look over there - aren’t those girls pretty? Is one of them actually topless?”

Dumb and Dumber turn their backs on Ivanka…

!!!

(God, I hope this is the right Trump legal thread!) :joy:

It is. Well done. :slight_smile:

Appeal in 5… 4… 3… 2…