NY-to-LA in 27 hours 25 minutes. New Cannonball run record

Click here for details.

193 MPH top speed on the trip, per their GPS. Average speed 103 MPH.

Yay them. Nobody got hurt and nobody----so far—went to jail.

That blows my mind. I can’t tell you how often I’m below the simple speed limit on the interstate because slow pokes have both lanes blocked.

It seems like traffic would be #1 difficulty.

Which one’s Michael Sarrazin?

Interview & congrats here.

Why are people congratulating someone who drove three times the posted limit at times, and averaged 40 mph over the posted limit, thereby endangering other people using the roads?

I can appreciate the level of daring this indicates while still rooting for the Apache gunships to take them out.

'cause 'Muhrica, heck yeah goshdarn it? :smiley: (but, really… it IS a thing???)

+++++1 to this!

Anyone in Hawaii that remembers Bucky Lake would find no joy or humor in excessive speeding!

In 1988, Lake was driving his Trans-Am at speeds estimated to be up to 112mph at Makapuu on the South Shore of the island of Oahu.

“Lake, then 22, was charged initially with five counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Ayce Esteban, 16; Jeremy Ng, 18; and Ross Leilamatafao, 21, who were riding in his car; and van occupants Marsha Milam, 40; and her mother, Rita Snider, 69.”

http://archives.starbulletin.com/1999/12/08/news/whatever.html

Not mentioned in the article was that the crash was so violent that Lake, the only survivor of the crash was found in the back seat of the car! He claimed that he wasn’t driving, but his teeth marks on the steering wheel proved he was the driver.

Add me to the list of people who agree with the above. This goes beyond daring. This is utterly stupid and reckless. It’s a hazard not only to the drivers, but to those unfortunate enough to find themselves along their route.

I’d just as soon congratulate a serial arsonist as a serial cross-country speeder.

It is possible to organise illegal speed races on public streets and still be (essentially) professional about it, like the old Midnight Club.

Professional in the sense of only admitting qualified drivers, ensuring that no members of the public are endangered (at least, given that the event takes place at all…), that nothing reckless happens, and so on.

Looking through the article, these guys didn’t so much “organize” as conspired, enlisting the aid of eighteen drivers across the country to scout out locations and help them avoid police attention.

I hope there’s a bunch of speed camera citations handed out to all the drivers. Beyond stupid! :smack:

The only way to ensure that no members of the public are endangered by a race on public streets is to get permission from the municipality to close down the street and have a police presence.

There is no time of day or night when it’s possible to say that no members of the public will be around. There’s always the possibility of a late - night drunk staggering into the street, or some teenagers walking home from a movie or dance, or a shift worker driving home.

Racing in public streets is inherently reckless.

The max speed they reached was 193 MPH. Of the total time of 27 hrs 25 mins, their total time stopped was just 22 minutes.

The larger problem with Lake’s crash is that he was shitfaced-drunk (0.15% BAC) at the time. He also hit his victims head-on, suggesting he was on an undivided two-way road when it happened.

OP’s article doesn’t say for sure, but I’ll bet that the Cannonball drivers in that article didn’t have any alcohol during their attempt, and I’ll bet their high-speed driving was reserved for multi-lane, limited-access interstate highways with sparse traffic.

Indeed, after a horrendous incident in 1999 where members of a motorcycle gang interfered with a race, leading to a crash that resulted in the death of an innocent member of the public, the Midnight Club did the only thing they could and permanently disbanded. (Supposedly. I am not up to date on the Tokyo underground racing scene.)

Ahhh, the hypocrisy.
This behavior is being lauded as silly edgy fun-loving American derring-do.

People who keep a hand gun in their bag whose children get ahold of it and blow their little brains out are monsters.

This high-speed dangerous behavior assumes that everyone else on the roads in the entire nation are simple slugs, being in the way of world glory.

Yeah. About that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was going to ask whether these sporting enthusiasts keep such detailed records of… unplanned occurrences resulting from their fun.

I see. It’s OK if they’re only endangering lives of other drivers in fly-over country.