No one here is unaware of this. The point was it’s not in the M-W dictionary, hence a reason why it’s not included in the Spelling Bee.
Someone pointed out way upthread that there’s no single dictionary that’s the basis of the wordlist for this game.
That is true, plus plenty of other words that are in Merriam-Webster aren’t allowed for the puzzle.
BTW, when I get down to the last few words for which I need a hint, I will sometimes check the Spelling Bee Buddy page. I was pleased to see that the two words I was stuck on today (manikin and manakin) were the least often found words. So at least it’s not just me.
It’s the first ever appearance for both words, so today I learned that a MANIKIN is a dummy and a MANAKIN is a bird. I managed (maniged?) to get neither.
I was disappointed that BENDED wasn’t accepted today, as in on bended knee. OTOH that would have made for a total of 69 words, 52 of them starting with B
Yeah, I try that one every time just in case.
Same.
Could not get DEPECHE out of my head today.
I couldn’t get FELICITATE out of my head today. It isn’t accepted, but it’s kind of close to another word that is.
Has there ever been a lower-scoring puzzle than today’s: 42 to Genius and 60 to QB?
The lowest point total was 47 points and 16 words on March 27, 2023 and about six or seven below today’s 60 point total.
Still won’t take “pruno”.
You knew it wouldn’t be there, but DICKHEAD was certainly worth trying.
It was my first try
I went through today’s SB relatively quickly, but then I got stuck with only the pangram remaining. I was rightfully pissed at myself when I finally figured it out.
Pretty much the same here. DICKHEAD had me thinking in the wrong direction. My last word was KIDDIE.
I think Sam’s just fucking with us.
(Got to Genius, but still haven’t gotten the pangram yet.)
ETA: and as soon as I posted that, I figured it out.
I also got to Genius without the pangram, and then finally got it. I oughta push for QB now…
No sooner did I post that, then I got QB!
When I saw that my last word started with KH, I thought, Here’s another of Sam’s obscure cuisine words. But no, it turned out so be something I knew quite well. In fact, I am wearing it right now.
I’m very disappointed in myself for not thinking of dickhead. I can only blame lack of coffee.
I would have thought dickie would be allowed.