Obtaining a police report (CA)

My dad died from a drug overdose in California in the 80s. Am I entitled to the police report, and how do I go about it?

Cal the police department and ask them.

I’m in California, and I’ve had the police flat-out lie to me and tell me that I couldn’t get a copy of a report that involved me. I talked to an attorney later, and told me that that was complete nonsense. He said that the only problem would be that after a certain period of time they all go to some sort of black hole in Sacramento (this was over ten years ago, so memory is failing me), and that after that happens there are some hoops that have to be jumped through, but it’s still doable. I think he said that they all get trashed after seven years though, so you may be SOL.