Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

I don’t know. I looked online before posting and found no references to “hearing aid,” which is what it looks like. He’s the only one wearing one, so I’m guessing that’s what it is.

Is Portuguese Hispanic? The article said that quarter was Brazilian. Just curious.

Maybe. Some people consider Brazilians Hispanic and some don’t.

I realize many people define Hispanic as “originating in a Spanish-speaking country.” But if that’s the case then there are no Hispanic people in the United States either.

Portugal and Brazil are not Hispanic. More Brazilians speak English than do Spanish. You are thinking of Latin, as in Latin America.

The USA is for sure a lot more Hispanic than Brazil, on the whole.

Morocco has a lot of Sephardi (aka Hispanic) Jews, but that does not mean exactly the same thing in this sense.

I agree with @Little_Nemo. I don’t think it’s cut and dried, at least in U.S. usage. Wikipedia also seems to agree.

As noted in that article, the U.S. Census Bureau uses “Hispanic” and “Latino” interchangeably. On the other hand,

The US Department of Transportation defines “Hispanic” as “persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Central or South American, or others [of] Spanish or Portuguese culture or origin, regardless of race.” [emphasis added]

And to make things even more confusing,

Hispanic was first used and defined by the U.S. Federal Office of Management and Budget’s (OMB) Directive No. 15 in 1977, which defined Hispanic as “a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South America or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.”

Which seems to assume that anyone from South America is from a Spanish culture or origin, so it manages to simultaneously include and exclude Brazilians.

From Wikipedia: " Hispania was the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula and its provinces."

So the people who invented the root word included Portugal.

Not that derivation is anything definitive.

I think that was supposed to be by choice - a combination of Spartan ethos and self-loathing.

From what I understood, she’s completely Jewish - part Russian Jew, part Moroccan Jew and part Brazilian Jew.

And that’s how I learned it so Portuguese and Brazilians are Hispanic right? But it seems that at some point “Hispania” came to represent the area that is today Spain (approximately) where as Portugal was known as Lusitania. So does that mean the Spanish and the Spanish New World are Hispanic while Portugal and Brazil are Lusitanian?

And people of French (French Guiana), Dutch (Surinam) and British (Belize) descent.

How about “Iberian” or “Iberian-American”, then?

My son has been watching the original Star Trek series recently, and he had Requiem for Methuselah on the other day - the one with the immortal who was (among others) Leonardo da Vinci, Brahms, etc.

The immortal kept trying to create an immortal android companion to keep him company. The one we see in the show is named Raina Kapec. I’m sure the reference to the writer who coined the term “robot” was quite intentional. Quite an AHA! moment for me when I noticed that.

Melbourne
May 23

Is Portuguese Hispanic? The article said that quarter was Brazilian. Just curious.

From Wikipedia: " Hispania was the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula and its provinces."

So the people who invented the root word included Portugal.

Not that derivation is anything definitive.

I referred to a friend of Spanish (but not Latin American) ancestry as “Hispanic” and he got kind of pissy about it. Good to know ahead of time.

As for the Portuguese, seeing how de Camões’s epic work is called Os Lusíadas, I do not imagine anyone would take offense at “Lusitanian”, even if “Hispanic” potentially remains problematic (they are not Spanish, after all).

An example of something that one realizes without consciously thinking about the subject, it dawned on me that the music from David S. Pumpkin comes from the Little Superstar viral video.

This is something that everyone else already knows.

In Pulp Fiction, I just assumed that Winston peeled off the exact amount of currency to buy Jimmy an oak bedroom set. After many watchings it became obvious that this was just a payoff to Jimmy with no relation to how he used the money.

Upon the 1023rd rewatch of the first episode of WKRP In Cincinnati, I just now noticed that the record Johnny plays on the switch to R&R is tracking on the center label, not anywhere on the LP. You’d think somebody, Like Hesseman would have caught that.

I wonder how many takes that was - they actually spend a bit of time showing him cueing it up, so it must have taken sometime to get that far over (or Hesseman bumped it and since it wasn’t the actual sound source no one noticed).

Maybe he didn’t want to live in the house where his wife had lived? Maybe he was so depressed he didn’t care, just had enough to exist and wish he didn’t any more. It’s clearly meant as an indicator of his mental, not financial state.

The names of the first and last abbots in A Canticle for Leibowitz begin with A and Z, respectively.