Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Not necessarily ‘obvious’, but an English translation of ‘Johann Sebastian Bach’ is ‘John Brooks’, and John Brooks is a suck-ass name for the world’s greatest composer of Western music.

On the other hand, I can see woke Appalachian pastoral songwriter John Brooks penning Sheep May Safely Graze so… ugh. Life is stupid.

John Augustus Brooks is not so bad.

But John “Gus” Brooks is right back there.

The book’s title also goes from a to z.

If Giuseppe Verdi were English, he would be Joe Green.

And if Dawn Wells had married Jessica Alba, she’d be Dawn Dawn

If Tuesday Weld married Fredric March’s grandson, she’d be Tuesday March the Second.

(Does anyone know who I stole that one from?)

And Adam Sandler and Joel Schumacher have the same last name - they both mean “cobbler”, the first in Hebrew, the second in Yiddish. Weirdly, Sandler also starred in a movie called The Cobbler, which led to some very surreal Hebrew-language posters.

omg

Passacaglia & Fugue in C-Minor by ‘Gus’ just isn’t cutting it for me.

On the other hand Albert Brooks real name is Einstein. Would you see a movie starring Albert Einstein?

I watch movies starring Michael Jordan, so, yes? :wink:

A romantic comedy that really does have Albert Einstein in it. Not archival footage, either.

Albert Einstein, Art Linkletter, and Mel Blanc in a Vincent Price movie? Why has this gem not been unearthed until now? You’ve been holding out on us!

Incidentally, it is available right now at archive.org, sometimes you need to just register to check out a tittle, like what they do with many books.

I definitely love tittles, so I will give it a shot!

:wink:

Each to their own. I’ve always preferred jots.

Now you can enjoy both!

Especially if you’re Mormon

I’m less inclined to believe that’s intentional.

I don’t know. They both just involve Miller making up a character’s name to fit a pattern. If he intentionally created an a to z pattern once, I don’t see why he wouldn’t have done it twice.