Odd Board Behavior.

I tried to access the second page of a Thread, & it kept kicking me back to Page 1.

In the past, this has been a sign that the SDMB is about to have problems.

I’ve not had this problem. Is there a particular thread this happens on, or all multi-page threads? Also, how are you trying to get to the second page, by using the “Next Page” link (>), or directly clicking the page number link?

Clicking on the Number, & on the > as well.

Only on the one page, but then, I ain’t tried the others.

Database problems…?

Could it be that there were just enough posts to make the last post spill over to a second page, but for some reason one post was removed (deleted, merged with another, hidden, etc.) so that the posts still display on one page, but the second page marker is still visible?

Maybe.

It’s started working again.

No problem now.

<shrugs>

That’s happened to me a couple of times, and it worked after a new person posted, so I think XJETGIRLX’s idea is good.

It has been reported before. I don’t remember any specific explanation other than it happens occasionally on a thread with exactly 50 posts, but I could be wrong.

This post describes a trick to show all the posts that are there: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=6644016#post6644016

The database was having problems early this morning, before your first post. I think it was around 7:30 or so. I got a lot of time-outs, the occasional “the database has a slight error” page and a few blank pages that said they were done loading.

This is normal if you switch machines or otherwise log out.
When you first look at a thread you get the default # of posts, which I think is 30.
When you log in you get your own specified count, in my case 40. Thus a thread with 31-40 posts will now fit into one page and the Page 2 link is dead.