Odd Dichotomy here

And that line was shut down by engineer_comp_geek , and quite properly as it would lead to a thread hijack.

But he has a point. There is a group of members here that claim to be supportive of a kinder, gentler, more welcoming SDMB, where sexism, racism, (but not ageism) transphobia, homophobia, misogyny and all sorts of things be banned. And who can be against that? We all want a kinder, gentler, more welcoming SDMB, don’t we? But that same group loudly supports a forum where it is Ok to call some poster a cocksucking cunt bitch, where internet bullying not only goes on, but it actively encouraged.

That is a dichotomy, and hypocritical to boot. Either we want a kinder, gentler, more welcoming SDMB OR we want a SDMB where bullying and personal attacks are Ok. You can’t have both. A board that allows and encourages bullying and personal attacks is NOT a kinder, gentler, more welcoming board.

I was entirely unclear about your desire to close the Pit, thanks for clearing that up.

False dichotomy - “we” may want to be welcoming to some, and hostile to others.

Of course you can.

He refuses to concede that the people have spoken.

Really, it’s just bullying and personal attacks on the pro-Pit posters, at this point. The irony is rich.

This keeps happening, and I feel this needs to be made abundantly clear:

Being a bigot is not the same thing as being a jerk.

Yes, being a bigot is being a jerk. But it’s also far, far worse. Trying to pretend these are the same thing will always lead to bad conclusions.

Bigotry is so bad it shouldn’t even be allowed in the Pit. Which is why hate speech is forbidden even there.

There’s no hypocrisy here. Being a jerk is just not wrong in the same way. Being a blatant bigot is wrong in the sense that thievery is wrong.

Cite?

I honestly don’t recall anyone ever calling someone a cocksucking cunt bitch.

First of all, the cocksucking part calls to homophobia and doesn’t fit well at all with cunt bitch.

Secondly, the entire construction is just off somehow.

Thirdly, I thought this whole thing was settled. Wasn’t there a vote ages ago where it was decided to leave the Pit as is, but to no longer include vile evocations in the titles?

It was. We’re not getting rid of the Pit.

We have already had multiple threads on the subject. Starting another one isn’t helpful.

Instructions to all: Do not start more threads on why we need to get rid of the Pit. Do not post that we should get rid of the Pit in unrelated threads.