Of Terrazo marble floors & low toilets (a work rant)

Terrazo (sp?) marble looks quite beautiful, but it is also extremely slippery when wet–and the wet can be caused by a mere drop (and I do mean drop!) of liquid! The lobby and floors at my job are this terrazo marble, and frankly I am dreading returning to work after all the snow because I know I’ll have to tread very carefully, especially in the lobby. We’ve had numerous co-workers slip and fall, and it seems like the extent of the job’s response to that is to insert a disclaimer (of sorts) into the banner on the computer network! “Please be careful when the floor is wet, you could slip and fall” :confused: Wearing rubber soled shoes does not help, unfortunately–those floors are slippery no matter what when they get wet! At least they do have a few carpet runner-type rugs in the lobby area–but those things curl up at the edges and I’ve nearly tripped on them several times!

As if the floor problem wasn’t bad enough, all of the toilets in the restrooms save the handicap-accessible ones are “low to the floor” ones! Not quite as low as a bidet, but almost. I’m serious–there have been times when I’ve had to go into one of those stalls, sat on the toilet and then wondered whether I was going to be able to get up or not. Can you imagine having to call for someone to help you get up off of the toilet?! :mad: Fortunately, that has not happened, but when you have arthritic knees, it’s definitely a possibility.

Note to those in facilities management, especially those responsible for making choices/decisions as to floor coverings and toilets: please don’t install terrazzo marble, and please stay away from those low boy toilets!

The largest mall in my area underwent an extensive renovation a few years ago, and one of the brilliant ideas of the architect/designer was to replace the carpeted floor with a marble tile (or something similar; I’m not exactly sure what it is). I haven’t fallen myself, but I’ve seen a couple of younger people slip and fall, and I figure it’s just a matter of time before someone sues the devil out of the mall. What can these people be thinking? I realize it’s probably easier to clean, but that’s small comfort when your customers are sliding across the floor like Dorothy Hamill.

Why do public restroom stall doors, except for the handicap stall which has tons of room, open inwards? You have to walk in and then squeeze yourself between the door and a toilet you don’t dare brush your trouser leg against while you shut the door. The more middle (age) I get the harder the maneuver.

Good point. I’ve been in stall that almost required you to stand on the toilet in order to close the door.

However there is an exlpanation as to why doors open into the stalls:

It’s to prevent a door being flung open and hitting someone who is walking past.

In the sixth grade, I had my lip split by someone who threw open the door of a handycap stall at school (actually I should probably say “kicked” open the door of the stall – kid ran like crazy thinking I was going to beat her up for it. It was an accident though.)

Nonetheless, I often wish the stalls would be deep enough to give you a bit more clearance between the door and the porcelain.

My agency used to be in a building with fancy marble floors like those described in the OP. I slipped and fell a few times when those floors were wet. The building I’m in now was designed by the same architects as the other building, and apparently they learned a lesson or two because the entry ways are unpolished marble. It’s so rough and drab, it doesn’t even look like marble, but it’s very non-slip. By the time you get to the pretty, shiny marble, your feet are usually dry enough that you won’t slip.

Unfortunately, the restrooms have marble floors, too. I had a co-worker who used to take talcum powder to the restroom, I guess so she could “freshen up.” And for some unfathomable reason, she’d pick the handicapped stall in which to do her freshening. And she wasn’t very neat about it. At least I was able to catch myself on the railing! :eek: I’ll take water on marble over talcum powder any day!