Offensive English translation of Arnold Schwarzenegger's last name?

Do you have any evidence supporting that theory, rather than the one in the first reply? You know, the one that actually matches the etymological patterns of other germanic names and has the benefit of being able to point to lots of places in Austria and Switzerland called Schwarzenegg?

Or a few years ago when PETA tried to get the town of Fishkill, NY to change their name because “killing fish was wrong”. The locals responded “kill” is derived from the Dutch settlers who found the area and translates as “stream”. So essentially it means “Fish in stream”. The PETA person whined “How are people supposed to know that”? Earth to PETA: Take your head out of your rear end. The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

Madonna has one, but like the Pope she doesn’t use it. So there’s ONE thing they have in common.

Harrow is also the name of a famous public school (English for “private school”), whence the following conversation reported in a Victorian book I read once…

A: Do you know C?
B: Of course! Him and me were at Harrow together.
(later)
A: What say you, D?
D: Well, perhaps B was a Harrow boy, but he certainly talks more like a plough boy. :dubious:

I was always embarrassed to say “that’s a nice coon dog you got there” at the dog park. Like that Fishkill/PETA exam cited above. PETA ish, I know. There’s a raccoon and a nip in the air.

Here’s proof that your memory (and mine–I recall seeing the original broadcast) is correct–Arnold starts talking about the pronunciation and meaning of “Schwarzenegger” around 3:19, and Dave cracks his joke almost a minute after that.

ETA: this was from a 1987 episode of Late Night with David Letterman.

I shouldn’t get involved in something I know nothing about, so treat this as a WAG. Switzerland has a number of place names that end in “egg” (pronounced “ek” and it was explained to me that it means “corner”, like High German “Ecke”. So Waldegg means the corner of the woods, or some such. I suppose it could mean “furrow”. Probably it is related to “edge”. “Schwarzen” is surely a dative form, not a plural. So it could mean an inhabitant (that’s the final “-er”) of the town at the black corner

As the first reply states, the word, in geographical context, means mountain ridge. But it is indeed related to edge.

I have no cite for this, as it is from memory. I was watching Arsenio Hall and Arnold was his guest. Aresenio asked him what Schwarzenegger means in English, and of course Arnie told him, “Black Plowman.” Arsenio then wrapped his arms around Arnold and cried out, “Brother!” This was in 1993 or 1994, as I also remember Arsenio asking if there was going to be a third Terminator film, to which Arnold replied, “Yeah. It’s going to be called ‘Sperminator 3: I Come Again.’” :smiley:

I know this was posted four years ago but I speculate that Schwarzen is the adjective form of Schwarz. But then I don’t know why it’s Schwarzschild and not Schwarzenschild.

I always feel funny responding to old threads. I mean Old Mace posted this four years ago. He could be dead by now for all I know. It’s like looking at naked pictures of Anna Nicole Smith.