Oh man, I miss Robin Williams

I was reading about the 1997 movie Good Will Hunting. What a genius he was.

YouTube (5:00), Good Will Hunting | ‘Your Move Chief’ (HD) - Matt Damon, Robin Williams | MIRAMAX

Oh man, I miss Robin Williams.

Right there with you.

And can you imagine a stand-up special with him and Carlin going on about #45?

Robin was great in that movie. I loved the baseball scene:

Last week I watched “The Birdcage” again. That is a great movie.

Yesterday, when this topic was posted, would have been Robin Williams’ 69th birthday.

I just watched the whole movie, Good Will Hunting.

Robin Williams is such a comedy genius. I’m old enough to have watched Mork & Mindy in my high school years, and that was great, and his quick mind and wit were displayed to us in so many ways through the years.

But in his serious roles, like Dr. Sean Maguire in Good Will Hunting, the soft-spoken, subtle, quiet, slow-talking psychiatrist, he also shines.

That would be awesome. #45 is such a target-rich environment that Carlin and Williams would have us in stitches.

Yes, @TheCuse, that baseball scene is a good one.

Actually when I started this thread, I wasn’t aware it was his birthday. I probably overheard that somewhere.

I moved this to CS.

I mostly cannot stand Robin Williams’ humor, but “Good Will Hunting” is one of the two movies I really enjoyed him in.

The other is the little-seen “Moscow on the Hudson”.

mmm

YouTube has the very underrated Mork & Mindy episode Mork Meets Robin Williams. It’s a telling episode about why Williams chose to be in show business. Even though it’s scripted, you can tell Williams is speaking in his own words. It has its moments of hilarity, too.

I’d recommend to any fan the 2018 documentary “Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind.”

It covers what you’d expect of his stand-up and movie careers and personal life, but it’s particularly good in the segment on Williams’ preparation for the movie “Awakenings.” Williams spoke with mental patients and appeared to find some intriguing parallels with the way his brain worked, and the ways in which Parkinsons and related disorders affected the patients’ minds.

The documentary also has some great anecdotes from Williams’ many show-biz friends (Billy Crystal, Bobcat Goldthwait, etc.).

I never understood why that hairy monkey armed man did it. I always found his suicide as selfish since so many people loved him and sure without a doubt he inspired so many people. I think Bicentennial man was an amazing movie that showed he wasn’t just a voice for a goofy character or there for quick laugh.

Lewy body disorder.

Did you ever see World’s Greatest Dad? It’s another amazing performance from him and if anyone missed it, you missed out.

It streams commercial free on Hoopla. Hopefully everyone’s library utilizes Hoopla.

It wasn’t selfish. Lewy Body Disorder is a horrible and ravaging disease which destroys normal cognitive functions and took away his ability to reason out the consequences of his actions.

It’s also undetectable in a living patient. They didn’t discover Williams’ disorder until after his death.

I never saw that. Will have to watch it one day.

I also liked him in another of his serious movies, “The World According to Garp”. It’s a quirky story, but Williams’s sincerity and genuineness in it shined through for me.

Didn’t he adlib most of this dialogue on Mork & Mindy?

thanks for the recommendation: that looks really good and I can watch it on prime for free if I get the 7 day HBO trial.

Worth using up the trial; it will stick with you.

I did watch it the ending was unbearably sad, but the whole thing was beatifully made. I like it was mostly his words, and interviews with his friends and family.
and now I have HBO for a week: what should I watch?

That probably deserves a thread of its own. My top HBO essential is “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver;” everyone will have their own recommendation.