OH PLEASE!! Get over yourself with your "Secret Recipie" crap!

So I’m over at a friends house the other day for dinner. They made an absolutely awesome Irish stew. So good infact I dare asked for the recipe.

To which they responded: “Sorry, secret recipe.”
I mean JEEZ! It’s not like I’m a big time restraunture(sp?) looking to make a fortune of their recipe.

Just give it to me FCOL!

You should have held the stew hostage.

Give me the damn recipe, or I’m dumping this whole pot.

(this is where you pour out just a little to show that you’re serious)

They’re using the stew as leverage, because they know the only place you can get that stew is through them, thus they can make you do whatever they please if you ever want to have the stew again.

He who controls the stew controls the world!

We need more Calgon!

It’s obvious. The stew was store-bought in some way, and they don’t like to admit it.

Many home chefs (such as myself) don’t work from recipes, we work from experience. I also rarely make a dish the exact same way twice (well, maybe hamburgers, but you get the idea). “Secret recipe” may just be shorthand for saying “Well, I’ve got the basics, but then I improvise using my accumulated knowledge and experience and whatever is on hand in the cupboard. Also, I don’t measure.”

Ok, I think I just peed my pants from laughing so hard!

Reminds me of when my son was a baby. I used to carry him around on my hip while I worked in the kitchen, and as I cooked I would tell him very seriously that I was adding the top-secret special ingredient and he was not to tell anyone about it. Then at dinnertime, someone would compliment a dish, I would nod and say, “That’s because of the Secret Ingredient”, and my son would gleefully cry, “SALT!”

Yep, I’ve used the “sorry, secret recipe” line a couple of times to save the hassle of explaining in detail how to make something; if you’re a person who demands an exact recipe, there are some things I cook that I could show you how to make, but cannot simply tell you the recipe.

I don’t actually understand the secret recipe thing, unless you’re a restaurant.

But it bothers me less than people who, when asked for a recipe, say, “Oh, yes, of course!” and then accidentally-on-purpose forget for the next millenia to get it to you. Just tell me you don’t give it out! I promise not to cry.

I get asked for recipes all the time, and I’m always willing to fork them over. I’ve found that pretty often, people don’t bother making the stuff, or they make it and it doesn’t taste quite right to them, and they end up thinking I’m an even better cook than I am. (No, I do not leave ingredients or steps out. I’m not that mean.)

On preview, I understand what you’re saying, Mangetout. I make something that my grandmother used to make, and the recipe includes milk measured by the half-eggshell and “as much flour as you need.” That one, if people ask, I tell them that it’s not written down anywhere and I’d really just have to have you over for the day and have a lesson.

That sounds entirely too much like me. This sometimes work to my disadvantage. I once made a shepherd’s pie that was so awesome (and we had guests over so it was doubly awesome that someone else got to try it) that I have yet to be able to duplicate it. I mean, I know most of what I used, and the Secret Ingredient™ (mint), but not in what porportions or indeed whether or not I might have used this or that spice that time.

I keep telling myself that maybe I should sort of jot down what I’m doing at the time whenever I’m making something from scratch. Then I end up saying “Meh, too much bother” and forget about it. And it’s always the times that I actually think this (as opposed to not thinking about writing it down at all) that the meal turns out better than it ever has.

My first thought. I used to buy Dinty Moore regularly and then add about half the spices in the spice rack, along with Tabasco, Worcestershire, A-1, Heinz 57, vinegar, wine, and maybe even some sharp cheddar. Each time it would be some new combination. It was just fine, and sometimes I wished I had written the things down it was so good.

Probably sto-bought with some nutmeg or cloves. :smiley:

[Restaurateur](www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/ dictionaries/english/data/d0082723.html). Yes, without an n.

Was their cat around anywhere? No? You have your answer!

and yet you’re fine with “Recipie?” :dubious:

Well, if you do get the recipe, be sure to post it here so all 12,000 of your closest friends can try it out.

In high school, I once made burgers for my siblings and me that were the best I’ve ever had before or since. And no matter what I tried, I’ve never been able to duplicate it. I’m a no-measurer, too. I’m not some kind of chef or anything; sometimes the stuff I try turns out to be inedible or nearly there. But I can usually throw stuff together to make a relatively simple meal easily enough, and sometimes it turns out to be something really, really good.

The OP didn’t ask about the spelling of “recipe”, and spelled it correctly everywhere but the title. Of course, I could always have said “When come back, bring recipie”. :smiley:

My sister has a friend who refuses to give out recipes because the recipient might enter said recipe under his/her name in the Southern Living cooking contest and win a bazillion dollars. So if they’re that good, why doesn’t SHE enter them?!??

I’m with D_Odds.

I’m a good cook, but recipes are something that happens to other people in my world. Plus, I tend to measure by “some”.

Drove my best friend insane when I’d give her the recipes for food I made her and they came out totally different when she tried them. It’s not like I deliberately left things out, but no recipe is ever the same twice for me. This includes things like the recipe on the back of the Nestle’s semi-sweet morsels. I add things, I subtract things, the definition of “some” changes. This isn’t intentional - it’s that cooking is more art than science for me.

Now, when she wants a recipe, she gets the basic ingredients and then calls me up to ask me what to do with them. Works better for both of us, although my husband thinks we’re insane for conducting cooking lessons over the phone.

Maybe the OP’s friends cook like I do :slight_smile:

Or their stew is so popular that they get invited to all the cool parties if they bring it. I’m generally pretty open with my recipes, but there are some I refuse to share, even with my mother. Ditto some of my home-brew formulas. You want it, you ask me for it.

My Mom has learned to her regret not to share popular recipes: She used to make certain items for parties and as gifts. Then she gave the secret to some friends, and now everybody makes them and they aren’t “special” anymore.

Sorry. In this case I side with the stew-makers.