Oh, Shoot! Henri Cartier-Bresson dies at 95!

PARIS (AP) – Legendary photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, who traveled the world for more than a half century capturing human drama on film, has died in France, French media reported Wednesday. He was 95. Cartier-Bresson shot for Life, Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar magazines and his work inspired generations of photographers. Cartier-Bresson became a French national treasure, though he was famously averse to having his own picture taken or to giving interviews.

While most of his international fame was generated from worldwide exhibitions and publications, Cartier-Bresson gained recognition from two documentary films he made about medical aid to the loyalists in the Spanish Civil War and about French prisoners of war returning home at the end of World War II. Cartier-Bresson was born Aug. 22, 1908, in Chanteloup outside Paris to a wealthy textile family.

No photography fans here?!

At least one. The man was a god with a Leica M3.
This is one of my favorite photographs ever.

Although he took that with a Leica screwmount.

I confess, Eve, I was vaguely familiar with his name but I wasn’t sure if I was familiar with his work.

Fortunately, he’s quite accessable on the web, and this page is one among many that showcases some of his amazing, sophisticated works.

He had a nice, long life. And left us some beautiful photography.

Oh my. A passing of another great master. How did I miss this news? It seems we’ve lost a few in the past few years (Helmut Newton, Herb Ritts, Yousuf Karsh). Luckily, I had a chance to see him two years ago at the opening of one of his exhibits in Budapest. Here’s to a pioneer photographer, a great artist, a lover of life. We’ll miss you.

That is a shame. For several years my father has been photographing famous photographers. He corresponded with Cartier-Bresson but was never able to get him to agree to a session. I guess it’s too late now.

It’s not too late, it’ll just be harder to pose him.

Has anyone else noticed the striking similarity between the young Truman Capote at Yosemite’s link and David Hyde-Pierce (Niles Crane)? Amazing!

I wonder what made him snap?

Sad. I’ve always liked his work. I saw him in one of his rare interviews on “60 Minutes” about 10 years ago. Very talented, interesting individual.

THanks for this thread, Eve. I went to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago for photography, and Cartier-Bresson was one of my early inspirations. Although now I’m ashamed to say I sometimes mix up in my mind his pictures with Andre Kertesz.

I find it much easier.

Wasn’t he the guy who took the photo of the guy just as he was being shot?

That’s Robert Capa you’re thinking of…if it’s the death of a Spanish soldier.

Unless you’re talking about the Vietnam execution photo. Then you’re talking about Eddie Adams.

All of his pictures of people are just as they’re being shot.

what possesses me to be so incredibly lame sometimes?

That was sad news, although to be honest, I thought he had already died.

His “decisive moment” shots certainly were an inspiration to countless photographers.

Cartier-Bresson also did some photography during the Spanish Civil War, but pulykamell is right–the famous Death of a Loyalist Militiaman was shot (no pun intended) by Capa.

As for Cartier-Bresson, here are his portraits of a couple of my favorite philosophers: Sartre and Camus, either one with his preferred accessory (pipe or cigarette, respectively).

I’m a huge fan of photography. We also lost Helmut Newton this year. Henri was incredibly talented and undoubtedly changed the art of photography.

I just wanted to quickly link to some of my favorites.

There’s the famous “Behind the Gare St. Lazare”, possibly his most famous work, but certainly the most illustrative of his “decisive moment” philosophy.

[“Rue Mouffetard, Paris, 1952” one of Bresson’s characteristic slice-of-life Parisian photographs.

[url=“http://www.photology.com/bresson/Foto21.htm"]"Hyres, France, 1932”](http://digilander.libero.it/rosmalt/bresson.jpg) Another great example of capturing the decisive moment, with impeccible graphic composition and wonderful tonal range.

“The Bargeman on the River Seine” This is not a terribly good scan of it, but once again, the composition is amazing, the faces (check out the dog), the moment is there. Perfect.

And this nude, perhaps my favorite ever by any photographer

And if you’re a photographer who doesn’t know who Bresson is, get yourself to a library stat. While you’re there, check out work by Andre Kertesz and Brassai.

That’s the one I was thinking of.