Street Photography Exhibition

I came across this website through a e-newsletter called “Dharma Notes.” I found it to be an interesting website, so I thought I’d share with the TM.

Maybe someone here will find this interesting…

I find street photography mesmerizing, but for some reason I never thought of going on the net to look for it. Thanks for the link! An interesting site as is Robertson’s color site, but what was with that solarization on the mouse-over?

Thanks much for those links Peta.

Cartier-Bresson, Gary Winogrand, Gordon Parks and William Eggleston are some of my primary inspirations as a photographer. As a practioner of this art, I can add that the “dance” has two distinct parts. The best part is hanging out, becoming involved with one’s milieu, and framing to the best of one’s ability what can be taken in.

I used to just stay put in a certain spot that “felt right” in Memphis, New Orleans, or some forlorn piece of the MSPI Delta, and wait. Usually, it was wait, hang out, talk to folks, but the place was always right. Something would happen, and a fine picture would result. I don’t know how to explain this rationally, but even in portaiture, which I have a decent reputation for, I always found the place to set the person in.

Street Portraits always put me in a gone yond space. Time stops in it’s normal everyday sense. You leave all your “gotta do this” perception and pay attention to the moment. It usually takes me several hours to snap out of that and into the normal way of being.

The second part of the dance is to technically execute the print, which is as least as painstaking as the first part. I still get whupped up when I see a negative come out of the tank that is half as much as I’d hoped for. And then to print it well on paper is another process. I suppose that everything I’ve learned is antiquated by digital processes, but I still love the old alchemy. And I always have to see it pesonally through from shuttercock to final print to make it worthwhile. That’s what makes that particular passing moment shine.

Thanks for making me remember that, Peta!