Ok - how do you *gently* tell someone they should probably get a LJ account?

Does anyone have a list of what color blood each country has? All I know is red-blooded Americans and English blue-bloods. Fight my ignorance, please.

What’s a LJ account?
What’s the implication you are trying to make but afraid of?

Did somebody say Thai? :: twitches ::

Look up to #7.

Despite what Caridwen says, there’s a bunch of us who at least don’t recognize it from its initials (Long John Silver?)

I’ve never heard of it outside these boards, and after reading the Wikipedia page on it I still don’t get the point.

This sort of thing needs to be done gradually.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your OP. We must, however, note with regret that it does not suit our present needs. Sincerely.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you again for the opportunity to inspect your contribution. Unfortunately, though we found it in many ways admirable, we must conclude that its best hopes for enthusiastic appreciation lie elsewhere. Sincerely.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your most recent submission. Unfortunately, we found it too far removed from our normal diet of readable posts for serious consideration. In recognition of your persistence, however, your efforts have found a place, of sorts, with us, in what some of the junior staff have taken to lightheartedly calling The File of Honor. Sincerely.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your latest. Unfortunately, we found it. Sincerely.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

May we be frank? It is not your talents as a memoirist that alarm us, though your style hovers somewhere between Oatmeal Box Nutritional Data and Bellevue Modern. No, it’s the purpose you allow those talents to serve that gets us down: chronicling those little snippets of your life that you have deemed interesting enough to share with us. May we suggest, as a more worthy subject and one more likely to hold a reader’s attention past the first ill-chosen word or misplaced punctuation mark, someone else’s life? Anybody’s. For what it’s worth. Sincerely.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

We are starting to suspect/That your literal defect/Isn’t writing–what you need/Is lessons teaching you to read/Our letters telling you to scram/Hence this singing telegram. Sincerely.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

Honest. Stop this. We have friends.
–Dear Sir/Madam:

Have you heard about Live Journal?

don’t worry auto, you’ve been removed from the running.

Any other votes?

I’m actually guessing that it isn’t anyone here. I know it isn’t me, cause who would want my witty repartee sent elsewhere? :smiley:

I’ll go out on a limb and say that most people have heard of things like Live Journal or blogs where people ramble on about a fight with your boyfriend, what you’ve had for lunch or what crazy thing your cat’s been up to. Or really important stuff. :smiley:

I could be wrong but I doubt if it’ll be a new concept to the person and they’ll probably be offended. You could tell a person they’re posting way TMI and they need to cool it. They’ll get offended by that too but probably less so.

One username came to mind when I saw this thread title. I suggest an e-mail. Perhaps suggest that starting so many threads can really dilute the quality of ones posting. Maybe phrased a bit softer. :slight_smile:

With a name like** Honey ** I nominate you for the job! :smiley:

I assume it’s not me, since I’ve been around longer than most, and I don’t have that many posts… but I just jumped in to say: “I must not be from this planet, bucause I’ve never heard of a Live Journal until today”. Seriously… how is it different from a blog, which is something else I don’t read or care to start.

Well I don’t know what a blog is actually. A Live Journal is just that… a journal you post in, daily or whenever. You can make it open to the world, or be like me, and only allow a few select friends to read it. This way they can read about the mundane things in your life or your deep thoughts or not, as they choose. And I read theirs. It’s a way to keep tabs on my long distance friends.

I also really like it because I’ve wanted to keep a journal all my life and never could. Now with LJ it’s easy! I detail my vacations or special events, and then I can go back and recall - oh yeah, that was the name of the restaurant we went to, or that cab guy in Vegas was really cute. I love details like that.

As I get older iI find for example the four trips I made to India somewhat fading in my mind…so I put in detailed logs of everything i could remember. I like that a lot.

Live Journal is a blog. Wikipedia says the word blog is contracted from web log. It basically is a journal, but online as opposed to written down manually.

Is it just me*, or did a wave of paranoia wash over MPSIMS today as a result of this thread? :smiley:
*Oh, God, it’s not me, is it? IS IT? sob

The OP didn’t affect me that way; the follow-up comments did. Maybe I should say the thread title appears innocent enough.

I have wound up feeling very much Thought Police or PC Moderator influence in the way the thread has progressed.

All I can say is that if anyone wants to gently tell me something, it probably won’t work. I can understand direct language, but the hints and innuendo approach is pretty ineffective. Especially when the suggested breaches of protocol could apply to 90% of the active posters.

I do feel pretty bad for whoever the guilty party is!

Whoosh!

Well, just in case it is me, I already have an LJ account. I haven’t been posting there much lately though.
You could also direct them to the MMP thread which is a lot of postings about anything and everything.

It’s kinda late for politeness I’d say, as whoever the offender is most certainly has seen this thread.

I don’t know. Some people in the thread are joking and stuff but I think I’ve made it clear I want to be polite. And it’s not really that they’re cluttering up any particular forum. I can easily ignore threads that i don’t want to read, unlike certain other people. I do think their needs would better be served in a LJ.

Let me make that clear - I really don’t care if anybody specific posts overly much in any forum (except GQ, which should be highly-moderated). I just think certain posts would do better in a LJ format.