Ok, my hands and forearms are hecked to hell. Help with Siamese Kitten!

Ok I went to a business meeting this morning and I put my hand out to shake our project leaders hand…haven’t seen him in a few months…He sais, “Whoa, Hayden, what happened to your hands? Been Digg’in for gold in a Briar Patch have you?”

Ha, Ha, Ha…No but my wife and I recently got a siamese kitten…and everytime it gets riled up and I go to pet it, it attacks my hands…damn sharp talons I’ll tell you.

Ok, of the cats I have been around - cats mind you, not kittens - they do not ever do this when riled up…so my question is this…will said kitty grow out of this behaviour? Should we scold him when he does this? Are siamese kitties worse when it comes to having sharp talons? How do we train him not to do this?

And will his baby teeth fall out…if so when?

Get some of these. They make being around the little buggers a lot nicer.
http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=8335990103&dept_id=-2 I wish we’d capped our cats’ claws when they were kittens, because I have only one finger that is completely free of kitten scratch-induced scars…

They eventually do learn not to scratch you, but it takes a few months. Saying “No!” and ceasing to play with them seems to help them “get it” a little faster. Eventually your reluctance to touch them any further sinks in as being connected to them having just ripped open your skin. Eventually.

I don’t think siamese cats are any worse scratchers than other cats; all kittens scratch, and they almost all grow out of it. By the time our Siamese were adults they weren’t any more likely to scratch than any of the tabbies we’ve had.

Siamese cats are well-known for being moody and a little savage; I know it’s hard to resist, but DON’T PET IT if it’s not in a petting mood.

Oh uh…that should be hacked to hell…:rolleyes:

Hmmm…never thought I capping the nails. I’ll show my wife. He’s such a little devil sometimes…I know I’m goingt o come home sometime soon to him on the curtins…he get’s stuck to everything. :slight_smile:

You might enjoy Get Fuzzy. It features a psychotic siamese, a stupid dog, and a rather hapless human. Kinda like Garfield, if Garfield were prone to random acts of violence instead of gluttony.

Oh, and it’s really funny. :smiley:

a. Clip it’s nails. You can buy nail clippers from a vet or a pet store. You may have to wrap it in a towel, but you might as well get it used to it while its young.

b. When it scratches or bites, play time is over. You can reinforce this by grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and saying “No!”. (Because mother cats carry them by the scruff of the neck, kittens have a reflex that make them go limp when you grab them there.)

We used a product called SoftPaws which kept our kitten from destroying furniture and carpets. He was a biter rather than a scratcher though. We also bought a squirt bottle. If he bites or harasses the other kitties he gets a squirt of water which he hates. It really has curtailed his bad behaviour.

But I’ll second the motion of not touching the cat if he doesn’t want to be touched. I have three cats and all of them have different tolerances to human touch. One almost never will let you touch or hold her and then only on her terms. The kitten is a little lover and likes nothing better than to be petted, carried or otherwise handled.

Yeah, cats have different personalities and different tolerances for being touched… just like some people love when you walk up and hug them, and others are more likely to stiffen up or push you away.

If you can tell when your cat’s not in a petting mood-- if he’s communicating it to you through voice or body language-- listen to him and don’t touch him unless you absolutely need to. It’s not so much an ‘obedience’ issue as an issue of respecting his personal space, and in my experience if you leave a cat alone when he wants to be left alone, he’ll have less get-the-hell-away-from-me moments altogether. You’ll be raising him to trust you.

I have no experience with SoftPaws or similar products. We’ve had some sharp pointy cats in our time, and just leaving them alone when they don’t want to be touched has resulted in less damage to the humans, and hasn’t caused any problems with the handle-ability of the cat.

Don’t declaw, either-- a cat who is prone to scratching and who loses his claws often becomes a biter, because it’s his only other line of defense. Declawed cats also lose muscle tone in their front legs and chest because they can’t dig their claws in and stretch or climb properly. They end up quite atrophied sometimes.

I started a job just after getting Cookie Monster when she was about two months old, and I was really worried that my new coworkers would think I was a heroin addict, I had so many track marks up my arms because of her games.

According to a book I got called The Cat Whisperer, if your kitty bites or scratches, make a high-pitched yelping noise and turn away - no more playtime for about 30 minutes. It’s tough but it works. This has largely worked on Cookie, who no longer scratches, but will occasionally nip my hand, and then stop and look guilty.

You probably don’t need to be told this, but the only thing I’d add to the previous advice is not to ever play with your kitten using your bare hands. Drag a string along the ground, get one of those toy-on-a-stick cat toys, or use whatever other hand extension you need to in order to be sure the kitty knows your hands aren’t playthings.

A second vote for clipping claws here. Get Kitty used to it while he’s still small. Also, start brushing him now.

Siamese are just plain harder headed than normal cats. But I think that they’re also more entertaining.