Ok so my HDTV died.

So, are the non-CRT sets line doubling to fill in the lines missed by interlacing? Any techno-geeks know how they are doubling? Interpolation?

Good news! It seems to have fixed itself… I think i might still have someone take a look at it once i get my refund check. It has REAL bad geometry and convergence issues.

as you can see here

here

and

here

I second this. My 32" Panasonic HDTV went out just like yours did, and it was just an $11.25 part that needed replacing - plus a $100 flat fee for the diagnosis / repair.

We’ve been looking into getting a HDTV and consistantly the two that stand out are the Aquos and the Bravia. Unscientific but there you go.

Generally they’re deinterlacing and then interpolating the picture. The extra lines are not thrown away, since there is spatial and temporal information in there, they are used to generate picture information. Here’s a page that talks about Faroudja’s DCDi algorithm, which IIRC is used in many of the the LCD sets.

I understand that plasma and projection systems in the past have just tossed one of the fields (one set of lines) to display 1080i, but I don’t know if this is the case these days.

In any case, if an LCD can display 1080p ‘natively’, and you have a source that’s 1080p, then none of this applies, and you’re getting all the resolution you think you were getting.

ETA: there actually are some pretty spendy LCD monitors that will display 1080i fields as a CRT would, but they are not consumer equipment. I can’t recall the name of the company that makes the one I’m thinking of; their product was about $10k for a something like a 24" monitor.