Okay, I get it, you love your mother. Enough already!

Mom taught me to cook. Not particularly* how to cook*, rather she created conditions under which I was able and driven to learn, and she imparted a few skills that made it possible to not burn the chow. I make a show-stopping apple pie in large part because of her, and I’m not afraid to try new skills & dishes. But she was otherwise a terrible and abusive person for whom I have no warm feelings.

ETA: Is. Sorry, she’s still alive. I never realized I tend to speak of her in the past tense.

For me, the worst is Columbus Day. Most of my friends are left of center, but it seems like they all stay up until midnight, then let loose in a game of one upmanship to see who HATES Christopher Columbus the most and who can add to the list of his evils.

September 11 is a close second. I don’t need a local pizza place reminding me to never, ever forget.

Still, it falls into the annoyance category.

Annoyed by something on facebook? The best solution is to simply delete your account, I did so a few years back and I’ve never looked back. I have more privacy, I don’t have to look at fake people pretending their shit life is amazing, and I’m not innundated with wacky fake news stories and conspiracy theories.

Never Forget, and in order that you don’t forget, we are taking off $9.11 on an order of 2 large pizzas!

As to the OP, I also agree that Mother’s Day is a completely over the top Facebook day. I sometimes wonder if the folks posting pictures about mom actually call their mother on the day (provided they are still alive)

This ad about a boy and his Mum on Fathers Day is quite cute.

Well aren’t you just a special one? Would you like a pat on the head? A gold star?

This just in: People can get annoyed by something but not eliminate it from their life.

I love my mother and will be devastated when she dies, so I love celebrating Mother’s Day. But then I’m glurgily sentimental. I even like “Roses for Mama”

Amen to 9/11. I call it the Day Of Recreational Grieving and Perpetual Victimhood

As much as I hate Facebook, I won’t give it up. Seeing pictures of family is worth the annoyance.

Tell your mother you love her on Facebook on Mother’s Day. It’s the least you can do.

(No, seriously, it’s about the LEAST you can do.)

My advice is much less severe than pool’s (which I still think was well-meant, BTW).

Use the “Hide This Post” option. People seem to not know it is there. It’s under the three dot menu on the upper right. If you hide a post of a certain kind, then you will receive fewer comments of that type. It may be annoying to do for a bit, but you will receive fewer posts on that particular topic. I’ve done it to greatly reduce the amount of glurge I get.

I also use the option to block shares from certain pages and sites. So I mostly just get photos and the occasional “funny” image macro.

I was taught not to lie.

Yeah, this.

I work in retail. Every mother’s day, nay, it starts the week before and ramps up, is a constant litany of people wishing me a happy mother’s day. Look, I get that they mean well, and I try to take it in the spirit given, but my mother is dead, my mother-in-law is dead, and I didn’t have children. Working on Mother’s Day is an 8 hour ordeal of being constantly reminded of my losses and lacks. Which makes it a day of loss, sadness, and mourning for me.

I normally like working the holidays, but for me it’s worse than Black Friday. It’s the frickin’ assumptions.

Swear to Og, next year I’m taking the day off and staying inside, away from other people.