Old fashioned oatmeal...improving consistency

Consistency in both senses of the word.

Sometimes my oatmeal turns oat more “gluey” than I would like. I think it helps to make sure that I’ve got a rolling boil going so that it cooks quickly.

Would it help to try to sift the “dust” out of it?

I learned the British way and had always thought the trick was really slow cooking. Put the oats in very hot water and milk and turn the heat really low and just simmer. I do them so low that I only have to stir them once in a while as I do other stuff. When they are the chewiness you desire take them off the heat and put the lid on. Let them stand for a while.

Always shake the can/bag before pouring them out. The biggest oats will sift to the top otherwise, and you’ll get half a can of super-chewy and half a can of glue. There’s a medium to be reached, with just enough “dust” to make them creamy, but not enough to make them gluey.

Use steel cut oats, not rolled oats. No dust. They take a bit longer to cook, but the consistency is never gluey.

McCann’s is the best, but it’s hard to make in small servings. Bob’s Red Mill is a nice compromise – you can easily adjust the directions for a single serving. Once you try them, you’ll never settle for Quaker.

There have been a number of [del]Odes[/del] Threads here praising Steel Cut Oats. The instant and rolled oats are far more likely to get gluey due to the way they are processed.

Alton Brown describes the differences between the oats (Scene 5).

BTW, I keep using Alton Brown’s half-hour recipe (Scene 6)…I tried his overnight recipe (Scene 13), but found it was way too much fruit and needs to be adjusted to taste. I also add a little milk to the top of my bowl and don’t mix it in, so I kind of eat it like cereal.
Steel Cut Oatmeal- What Did I Do Wrong?

Steel Cut Oats - yet again

Making Cooked Oatmeal Taste Better

Steel Cut Oats?

I just made my first batch ever of steel cut oats

Talk to me about steel-cut oatmeal

If you’re working w/ rolled oats and want to finish those off before making the switch to steel cut, add some barley or grits to the rolled oats to take out some glueyness.

I add 1/4 c of Grape Nuts to 1 c of oatmeal before cooking, increasing the amount of water by 1/3 c to compensate. Improves both texture and taste.

You left out my fave thread! Who likes oat groats?

Cooked oatmeal is gluey so I don’t cook my rolled oats. Just pour boiling water over, let sit for a few minutes, eat with appropriate toppings. They still have some oat texture this way. As an added bonus, there’s no pan to scrape glue off of.

Here’s my recipe for oatmeal. I was never a fan growing up, but that is because my mom’s really sucked (sorry, mom).

Thanks to all. I’m going to try the above next time.

I have and love steel cut oats… just don’t always have the time for that option.

I cook my steel cut oats in a rice cooker–it takes about 30 minutes and I have time to eat it while watching the morning news before I go to work.

To avoid gluey rolled oats, don’t stir, ever!

If you make hot oatmeal in a pot, pour in the oats first, then pour water over them, being careful not to agitate. Bring the pot to almost boiling at medium heat, then simmer for ten minutes at a low flame. Remove from heat and let sit another five minutes.

In the microwave, heat at high until nearly boiling, then set to low for ten minutes (use defrost if you don’t have a low setting). Let sit for five minutes.

Stirring or rapid boiling releases starches which causes the gluey texture. Avoiding motion allows the starches to absorb water while staying inside the oat flake.

I need to try that.

I know a guy who just pours milk over them a day before and puts them in the fridge until he wants to eat them. I guess you could probably do the same thing with hot milk, if you want them actually cooked instead of raw. let them sit in the fridge overnight and heat them up or just pour some hot milk over them and let them sit for a while. I imagine that would cut down on the starchieness.

I got a microwave rice steamer from a Pampered Chef party recently. I have yet to try cooking rice in it, because it’s always full of oatmeal. It really works great, and very quick.

Okay, steel-cut oats in the rice steamer worked out really, really nice! I soaked 'em overnight 1 cup oats, 2 cups water, turned them on this AM. 15 minutes later, nice and chewy oats, done perfectly.

Here’s the way I make them:

1/4 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup plus a little more water
30 g dried cranberries

(Amounts per serving. Scalable.) Put everything into a pot. Stir, and heat on high heat to full boil. Be ready to lift the pan from the heat so it doesn’t boil over. Turn heat to the lowest setting. (Unfortunately, I have an electric stove. But fortunately it works well for this application.) Put the pot on the burner, and lift as it tries to boil over, until it can rest on the burner without boiling. Put the lid on the pot. Let it sit for 30-45 minutes, stirring a couple/few times, until it is at the right consistency.

I don’t add anything to it. Roomie puts milk in hers.

I usually write that as

1 heaping cup water

:smiley: