! ! !Old Glory! ! !

I STILL DO NOT GET WHY PEOPLE INSIST ON BURNING THE FLAG IT IS AN INSULT TO ALL AMERICANS AND A SLAP IN THE FACE OF THE MEN WHO SERVED UNDER IT. IF IT’S THE GOV. YOU HAVE A BEEF WITH THEN TAKE IT UP WITH THEM. WHEN YOU USE THESE KINDS OF TACTICS (UNDER THE ROUSE OF FREE SPEECH)YOUR VOICE WILL NOT BE HEARD AND ONLY MAKE FOR POOR NEGOTIATIONS. IN THIS LAND THERE ARE AT LEAST A MILLON WAYS TO SPEAK YOUR MIND WITHOUT INSULTING VETERANS. I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND DEMOCRACY BUT I AM ALSO UNHAPPY WITH SOME OF THE POLICYS OF MY COUNTRY. THE WAY I SHOW MY UNHAPPINESS IS VOTE OUT THE PEOPLE I’M NOT HAPPY WITH. IT HAPPENED HERE IN MINNESOTA (GOV.VENTURA). SO IN CONCLUSION I AM ASKING FROM ONE AMERICAN TO ANOTHER-DON’T BURN THE FLAG VOTE!!! P.S. AS A VETERAN I WILL SAY THIS-IF YOU BURN MY BELOVED FLAG IN FRONT OF ME I WILL USE MY RIGHT OF FREE EXPRESSION TO SHOW YOU EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT. IN ALL SINCERITY, BRIAN BROVOLD MINNESOTA

FYI-read my original post over again. It had little to do with The Right To Burn The American Flag. I only wanted those 3 questions answered.

I should have read the question closer. I think it represents the sacrifices this country has made (good and bad) to become who we are today. It is certainly no coincidence that we are a small country by comparison and only being 200 yrs old that we as americans have come so far. none of that would be poss. without the freedom that the flag represents.

I’ve posted this suggstion twice already and didn’t get a nibble, but I’ll try again.

The appropriate punishment for burning an American flag is to be burned in effigy. A symbolic punishment for a symbolic crime.

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else, but you didn’t get a nibble from me because I assumed you were making a joke. It was cute.

Or was it a serious proposal?

-andros-

I am serious. I wouldn’t require amending the constitution or the involvement of police or the courts, and yet it would fit the crime. It would make those offended by an incident of flag burning feel better, it would be free from all the legal procedural details, yet still act as a deterrant. It’s perfect.

BRIAN BROVOLD wrote:

By comparison to what? The U.S. is one of the largest countries on Earth, both in terms of square mileage and population. Heck, California alone is about the size of a typical European country.

(So evidently you can’t quote within a quote, hmm?)

Tracer, I think perhaps he means in terms of psychological size rather than physical size. And, perhaps, while he may be speaking of the America of 2000, in his mind he may be unconsciously visualizing the America of 1776, when it WAS smaller than anybody else, just 13 tiny colonies clinging to the edge of a dark and dangerous wilderness, fighting for their survival…etc. etc. :rolleyes:

“Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!” - the White Queen

To elaborate on my idea a little bit: Perhaps each American Legion chapter can be the headquarters for the local anti-flag burner effigy squad. When an incident of flag burning is reported, they can swing into action, obtaining a likeness of the offender(s), constructing the dummy, selecting a site for the counter-protest, and contacting the local media. Once it’s over, that’s that until next time. No fuss, no muss.

The flag is a symbol which represents the freedom that one has, a freedom which says that someone can show displeasure with something in this country by burning the symbol, symbolically.

Yer pal,
Satan

sqweels,

This “effigy burning” you speak of is a joke, right? (I know it was asked once already, but I want to be sure.)

Satan-

I’ve had enough of your two cents. Why must you respond to every post?

Huh??? I count exactly one post by Satan in this thread. Am I missing something?

I’m sorry, but that has the makings of a great new catch phrase. Beats the crap out of that long-ass “serenity” prayer. Try shouting it and shaking your fist at the ground next time you’re having a bad day. :smiley:

Lemon Drop Martini: 2 Parts Absolute Citron, 1 Part Cointreau, juice of half lemon. Shake with ice and strain into chilled, sugared martini glass.

It seems these days that every post I stumble upon contains an smarta** remark from Satan.

Oh, and water, you are missing something. Satan seems to live by the phrase, “quantity over quality.” He responds to every post.

I’m merely making an observation, an accurate one.

What do you mean by every post? Every post of yours? Every post on the entire SDMB? Where are these supposed responses by Satan? They aren’t in this thread. So why don’t you take your rant to the Pit or something?

Let’s see… My smartass posts or your dumbass comments? hmm… Tough call… Okay, I like my smartass posts better than your dumbass comments.

But thank you for playing! We have some nice parting gifts for you, including a year’s supply of TurtleWax and Sasonite luggage!

Actually, I’ve been posting a lot less lately. Walking anal leakage such as yourself seem to have overrun the board, which seems to have taken the fun out out it.

Just when exactly was the last time we got a newbie who didn’t suck?

Well, no matter… This bozo sure ain’t he…

Well, nineteen post wonder, you’re going to observe tears splashing on your keyboard as you pen a tearful missive to your mommy, begging her for help when I and the friends I have here flame you so much, you’ll need an asbestos suit.

In closing, lick my bag.

Yer pal,
Satan

This would be a great name for a band. Their first album could be called

Satan, you tear 'em up like a pro. I can only aspire to your lack of patience with dumbasses; I give them far too much latitude, myself. Keep it up.

Federalist–Satan’s comments are usually well thought out and insightful. He posts on a lot of threads because he has opinions to share on a lot of different subjects. You say he tries to substitute quanitity for quality; since two of your 19 posts have been used to point out how often Satan posts, I would say that you are lacking in both. Get bent.

(See? I try to make the logical appeal, hoping my flawless reasoning will carry the day. It just lacks the subtlety of “lick my bag.”)

Dr. J (up too late)

“Seriously, baby, I can prescribe anything I want!” -Dr. Nick Riviera

WHOA NELLY! Hold your horses!!

I was simply making an observation. I guess it would serve me best to beg for mercy, for I attacked a straight dope “elder.”

And there is no need to get defensive; am I here to stir up trouble? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Either way I’ll criticize who I want, when I want. Do not take it personally.

Satan-
Your impressive, almost perpetual flow of gibberish doesn’t impress me. Neither does your intimidation. See ya around.

Instead of reading a paragraph from 1,000 books, read 10 from cover to cover. Get it?

You said “Satan, I’ve had enough of your two cents. Why must you respond to every post?” That is NOT an observation. The first sentence is you expressing your annoyance at Satan’s two cents. The second sentence is a question about why Satan responds to every post.

You make unsupported, seemingly false (and I will assume that Satan does not respond to every post until you provide some evidence) criticisms about Satan and you expect him not to take it personally. That sounds like a sure way of stirring up trouble to me. Feel free to criticize, but the sort of ad hominem attacks you are making don’t belong in this thread. I seem to remember some idiot attempting a flame war with Satan not that long ago. That person got his ass handed to him.

So you might not like the fact that Satan posts a lot. That has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AMERICAN FLAG OR WHATEVER OTHEER ISSUES ARE BEING DISCUSSED HERE!! His one post in this thread before you insulted him wasn’t even a smartass comment.

Incidentally, I’m not leaping to Satan’s defense because he’s an old-timer or anything, as he really hasn’t posted all that much since I’ve been here (you also joined in March, perhaps you’re an older friend than t says) and I really don’t know much about him.