Old People, Get Off the Road!

Sorry Grandpa, but, man you have got to stay off the road. Driving in them big brown Lincoln Continenal going only half the speed limit. Just stay home for the love of God.

This subject has already been debated, Chubbs, and you lost.
Do a search.
Peace,
mangeorge

Let me read up on it. Cause there is no way I can lose this one.

Most old people do the speed limit or just slightly under as all good drivers should. It is a speed limit, not a speed suggestion.

Old people should go the same speed as everyone else not what the posted speed limit is. They should use turn lanes like everyone else. They should not take a nap at stop signs or red lights.

Young people should learn to drive in such a way as to not cause by far most of the accidents and injuries.
I told you, we’ve been over all this. Go find it.
Or do you expect some old fart to do all your work for you, as usual?
Go do your homework. And turn off that TV.
Peace,
mangeorge

What, then, is the purpose of the posted speed limit? Should the police ignore the posted speed limit as well? If the police don’t, what defense should the “old people” who follow your advice use when answering a judge after getting a ticket? (Warning: “Chubbs told me I could drive that fast,” won’t work.)

• Rick

**Procacious wrote:

Most old people do the speed limit or just slightly under as all good drivers should. It is a speed limit, not a speed suggestion.**

Come drive in Texas sometime, then try saying that again!

As for the OP; well, if a person is so old that their vision fails and other infirmities set in, then I think there’s a reasonable argument for them to not be driving.

Now, can you provide a good argument as to why you can ignore the basic rules of the road and the safety of other drivers?

Because he is a kid and he believes that he has the fastest reflexes on record, the judgement of Solomon and better hand-to-eye coordination than Richard Petty at his best.If all drivers were as good as he, accidents would be a thing of the past.

As to why his insurance rates are astronmomical, it is because old farts like me set the rates, or so he believes.

Mangeorge, Of course young people don’t know how to drive. Last time I checked, in order for you to get experienced you need to practice. When you get old you lose your dexterity, eyesight and depth of perception. Losing anyone of these is very bad. What is sad is they don’t realize it and if you say something they get upset. I did see a an episode of 20/20 regarding this topic on TV

Bricker, Of course you are supposed to go the speed limit, However if traffic is going slower due to rain or fog you go the same speed as the rest of the traffic. On the freeways when it is clear and everyone is doing 80 you can’t be doing 55 (unless you’re in the far right lane). This happens all the time, Grandpa Kettle decides to drive in the passing lanes going 55. Very unsafe indeed if you ask me.
Freyr, You need to use your best judgement on the speed you want to travel that is safe for everyone. Not just gramps who thinks he owns the road.

LouisB, The reason accidents happen is from one or both person(s) not paying attention. The reason for insurance rates being astronomical is because insurance companies suck.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs17thru20.htm here is the state of California law regarding speed limits. You’ll need to scroll down. Don’t forget my biggest problem with old people is that they drive way to slow. If they could just move a little faster and get to the speed limit. I would be happy.

I’m pretty sure, Chubbs. that you’re referring to this;
“If you block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic by driving too slowly, you may receive a ticket.”
But that is modified by this;
“Remember, you may not drive faster than the posted or maximum speed limit, even if you think it is safe to do so.”
“Normal and reasonable” means at or near the posted speed limit, or slower if conditions warrant. Never faster.
The idea that you will be ticketed for going too slow while driving at the speed limit is one of those urban legends. I’ve asked cops about this, and they told me that most likely, the driver behind would get a ticket for tailgating.
Truth is, I also drive in California and never come upon an oldster who’s driving 30 in a 55 zone. 45? maybe, but rarely
Sure, age-impaired drivers can be dangerous. But that’s not what you’re complaining about, is it. You’re ticked about people getting in your way.
Write 60 Minutes and request a transcript of that show you refer to. Then read it. Also go back to the site you linked and read that too. Neither supports your position.
And drive careful. I don’t want to hear that you’ve smashed into an overpass somewhere on I-5
BTW; I’m 56. You?
Peace,
mangeorge

Chubbs,

Nowhere in California is it legal to drive at 80 miles per hour. I agree that anyone obstinately driving 55 in the left lane when the speed limit is 70 and the driving conditions permit 70 is a safety hazard - and I even agree that older drivers are perhaps disproportionately guilty of this offense. I would absolutely support mandatory retesting past age 70 for all drivers.

Where I draw the line, however, is your repeated insistence that drivers must driver faster than the posted speed limit in order to avoid your wrath.

• Rick (who is, in the interests of full disclosure, 37)

There is a difference between what is legal and what is safe. I won’t enter the argument about which age groups are dangerous, but I believe that it is a pretty well-established fact that it is the variance of the speeds driven that lead to more accidents as opposed to the level (or loosely speaking “average”). So I supose those young’un hot-rodders and those blue-haired slowpokes are both to blame. :slight_smile:

Bricker say’s;

I can’t argue with that, Rick.
And I would also support mandatory retesting of all drivers below the age of 25 or so.
Maybe that should be, um, 40? :smiley:
Ok, I’m kidding about 40, but serious about 25.
Peace,
mangeorge

LouisB,

That’s Billy!!!
How did you meet the kid that works with me a couple of days a week!?

:stuck_out_tongue:

He tried to hand me this arguement a few weeks ago. He gave up after a pitiful few tries, as I kept laughing and interupting him or something.

**Chubbs wrote:

[ul]Sorry Grandpa, but, man you have got to stay off the road. Driving in them big brown Lincoln Continenal going only half the speed limit. Just stay home for the love of God.

Old people should go the same speed as everyone else not what the posted speed limit is. They should use turn lanes like everyone else. They should not take a nap at stop signs or red lights.

This happens all the time, Grandpa Kettle decides to drive in the passing lanes going 55.

Not just gramps who thinks he owns the road.

Don’t forget my biggest problem with old people is that they drive way to slow. If they could just move a little faster and get to the speed limit. I would be happy.**[/ul]

Is there any point to this thread other than Chubbs bitching about some of the drivers in his area? So far all he’s done is make gross generalizations about old drivers. I would recommend to the Mods that this thread be moved to the Pit. There’s no debate here.

Freyr say’s;

Tell me about it. I’ve been there, Arlington it was. What’s with those people? And it ain’t just the oldsters, either. Half the drivers going 30mph over the limit, and the other half doing 30 mph under!. I guess they figure that if they average the limit, then it’s ok. :wink:
Specifically on the freeway between Arlington and Dallas, but in the countryside too.
Pretty good bar-b-que, though. :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

aenea, I don’t know Billy, but I do remember being a smart-assed teenager. One who thought all “old” people should be taken out and shot. It is a wonder that some of the “old” people didn’t take me out and shoot me.

Sorry, Chubbs, but it’s a big white Lincoln Continental that your stereotypical old fart is driving (especially if it has Florida or Texas plates).

Annoying though they may be, your targeted old drivers are far less likely to kill me than you, if you are doing 80 on a nice clear day (What’s that stuff that fell out of the pickup up ahead? Time to brake…oops.). I suggest you carry a card with your blood type printed in large block letters. And maybe an organ donor card as well.

Pity the poor old guy doing the speed limit, who pulls into the passing lane to pass a slower driver, and has Impatient Chubbs roaring up behind him, honking and swearing. Those nasty old farts! Can’t they see that Chubbs has to get to Sunday School before class lets out?? How mean they are to Chubbs!!! [/sarcasm]

Bricker,

Surely you noticed that when called on the irrational “evereyone should drive the same speed regardless of the limit” stance, the OP immediately brought up why it’s a good idea to drive slower…you know, just like the old dude was doing - driving slower than the posted limit.

My bet is that the old dude noticed the OP on the road, and thus drove slower to account for the absolute freaking traffic hazard the OP more likely than not is when he/she/it/whatever is on the road.