Older rock fans: ever hear a classic that missed you all these years?

This has happened to me four times in the last four years.

First time: I heard a brilliant song by a band that sounded remarkably like Queen. Couldn’t be, I thought. I’ve heard all the good Queen songs a million times over, and Freddie Mercury is dead. Then I heard the title: “Fat-Bottomed Girls,” which I later found is on the flip side of “Bicycle.” Amazing!

Second time: I heard a wonderful song that had to be either by Tom Petty or Bob Dylan, yet I was listening to a classics station, which meant it was old. Title: “Last Dance With Mary Jane.” How did it miss me all these years?

Third time: A couple of years ago, I was watching a Mitsubishi commercial, and the theme song was a terrific rockin’ piece. For a couple of days, I thought some young new band really had the beat. Then Mr. Pug heard it, and said, “Oh, that’s Marc Bolan and T. Rex. Marc’s been dead many years.” Never heard it before, but it caused me to buy a T. Rex CD and blast that song, “20th Century Boy” loud enough to shatter my car’s windows several times.

Last time: I watched “The Big Lebowski” a couple of days ago for the first time, all the while amazed at the wonderful T Bone Burnett’s music selection for the background, and heard “I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition my Condition is In)”. Mr. Pug says it was not an obscure song, and doesn’t know why I never heard it before. I’m just glad I heard it now.

In fact, I’m glad that a few classic nuggets escaped me, because it’s delightful when one pops up every few years. It’s like finding a $20 bill back behind your sofa cushions that you didn’t know you had.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I’m amazed you hadn’t heard this. It’s on the Greatest Hits CD (US 1992).

I have no idea how. It got serious airplay on MTV and VH-1. A truly bizarre video, even by Tom Petty’s high standards. Probably the first use of necrophilia as a major plot device in a video.

Should have googled first:
http://necrobabes.org/vicki/celeb/vskb01.htm

Shows stills of Kim Bassinger playing the corpse in the above video.

"Mary Jane’s Last Dance" was released in 1993 on Tom Petty’s Greatest Hits album. It hit the top 40 in January of 1994, and the top 10 in March. :smiley: Damn good song, IMHO.

This has happened to me a couple of times before, but I can’t recall what song it was that did it to me.

probably… i hope so…i dont know that necrophilia needs to be a major plot device in videos

now back to the topic

one i came across the other day was Lady from styx… i havenet heard that song in years… (and i am a styx fan) i heard it as a promotional thing for their new album.(its not on it)… which i went out an bought… i really like it. it is different. it has a lot of guest apearances. john wait, tenacious d, billy bob thornton. i dont know how normal that is, but it makes for a very intertaining album

It happened to me last year, triggered by a SDMB poll on favourite PF songs. I love PF and have all their albums upto and including The Wall. Many people mentioned Comfortably numb, which did not ring a bell at all. So I played it over and over again, and indeed, it is great.

When I was a little kid working in the garage with my dad (this is the mid- to late-1970’s), he had an old FM radio out there that we listened to all the time.

Being a little kid with no money and no way to get to a record store, I enjoyed listening to the songs, but had neither the means nor desire (nor comprehension, really) to purchase any music for myself. I didn’t even bother to learn who sang the songs that I liked back then.

Many years later, when I was in high school, I saw the DaiCon IV video, a fan-created sequence made for the sci-fi/animation convention of the same name back in 1983. It was a neat video and had cool music: the song “Twilight” by Electric Light Orchestra.

I decided to find the album on which the song appears (Time, released in 1981 in case you missed it). I liked the album so much, I decided to see what else ELO had done, so I picked up their greatest hits album (released in 1979).

Lo and behold, it was filled with songs I remembered enjoying on that old radio while we worked in the garage! Since then, I have purchased several other ELO albums, as well as Strange Magic, a two-disc compilation set they put out a few years ago. ELO is still my favourite band!

Although it’s not terribly well known, Robert Wyatt’s Rock Bottom is most certainly a classic. I found out about this thirty year old gem from another thief at Napster.

This happens to me a lot. But then, most of the music I like was recorded before I was born, so it might be something I should expect.

I don’t recall the name of the song, but there’s a really good one that goes something like “Bus stop, wet day, she’s there, I say, ‘Please share my umbrella.’” I had never heard it until about a year and a half ago, and now they seem to play it all the time on the radio.

“Bus Stop,” by the Hollies.

For quite some time, Thunderclap Newman’s “Something In The Air” escaped my notice, and now I seem to hear it a lot. There have been a few others, where I say “Wow, I kinda like this song” and someone says “DUH! That’s an old one!” I think that some of these songs have resurgences due to movie soundtracks and/or Greatest Hits re-releases.

OK, here’s an odd route. I hadn’t picked up on Gimmie Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd, (though I loved Sweet Home Alabama, etc.) until I heard it many years later on the first Northern Exposure collection.
By the way, I’ve never seen a show range all over the musical map the way that one did. The collection has Europop, opera, the above Skynyrd, Etta James doing “At Last, My Love,” a Cajun song, Nat King Cole, Miriam Makeba, klezmer music, steel drums, and Booker T doing “Hip Hug Her.”

Come to think of it, that tape introduced me to Etta James (who was a bit before I was paying attention) and Mr. Cole’s “When I Go Too Old To Dream” with what can only be described as jazz fiddle in it. Amazing

I had never heard Deep Purple’s “My Woman From Tokyo” until a couple of years ago. Since then I have heard it numerous times on our local “classic” rock station. I just missed this one somehow. Oh yeah, I had never heard “Kung Fu Fighting” before the Wayne’s World movie, either. I love that song. Wish I had heard it sooner.

Slight hijack: On a musical theatre board, someone asked for information on a “Phantom of the Opera” tour of Paris: Where to go, what to see. I mentioned that he might try to find the OOP CD “Broadway Montreal” which has the songs “Le fantom de L’Opera” and “Musique de la nuit.” A Paris POTO fan went ballistic, asking were I got my information and how come she had never heard of this CD? All but accused me of making it up. She didn’t believe it till another person posted about how it did exist and was excellent.

It’s a Canadian CD by Robert Marien, who wanted to do the show in Quebec in French. Never was done, c’est domage.

And to think that I heard all these songs on the radio when they were first released. Sigh. I must be getting old.

(Although I have to confess that I don’t think “Something In The Air” got any radio play right away. I remember it from the soundtrack album from the anti-war movie “The Strawberry Statement” from 1970 that my girlfriend owned.) (Yes, it was on a soundtrack prior to “Almost Famous” ~grin~)

I thought I was a huge Doors fan, until about three months ago when I heard Peace Frog for the first time. And of course, my wife had heard it hundreds of times, and of course she felt the need to sing along all the way through the song in the car while pointing out that anyone who called themselves a Doors fan should have had these lyrics memorized no later than 1979. And she hates The Doors.

I don’t know if these count as well-known classics, but I only recently heard Buffalo Springfield’s Expecting to Fly and Neil Young’s Cowgirl in the Sand.

I wish that would happen to me. I think I know all the classics thanks to my rockin’ dad. Boy, he had the old jams. Allman Bros., Billy Squier, Tom Petty, Zeppelin, Sabbath. My first concert was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Jammin’ Me tour. Rock on. \m/

Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic. I grew up on classic rock but mainly from one of those shitty stations that just plays the same 75 songs over and over and over…

When I finally heard DMF I thought that it was just some hidden gem that the DJ had snuck into the playlist.
I was wrong. Now I hear it all the time. Funny how that works.

I’m always finding nuggets in deep, dark cracks. I discover music I should have found long ago, too. :smiley:

Fagjunk Theology: Not just for sodomite propagandists anymore.