Songs you used to adore that fell out of your brain for over 20 years

So the Captain and Tennille divorcing had me looking at their discography and I saw:

“Come in From the Rain”

I link the Melissa Manchester version because I have a question attached to this thread. Which version am I more likely to have discovered this song on the radio? I don’t think it was the Captain and Tennille’s version, but Wikipedia isn’t telling me which version charted.

Anyway, for whatever reason, that song unlocked a couple of other songs I used to utterly adore that just fell out of my brain forever ago.

“With You, I’m Born Again”

“The Last Time I Felt Like This” from Same Time, Next Year

Anyone else had this happen? Where you’re amazed you ever forgot those songs?

Just yesterday I heard a song that I hadn’t heard (and indeed, had forgotten about) for probably 25 years: Radioactive by The Firm.

At some point in time I owned the vinyl record of Emerson, Lake & Palmer’s eponymous debut album. Somehow I had completely forgotten about this album. A few months ago I came across the song “Take a Pebble,” the first track on the album, on Youtube and I was taken aback because I had completely and utterly forgotten all about that song.

I have no idea why this song wouldn’t get any airplay at all on classic rock stations. Well, at least I hadn’t heard it in over 25 years maybe.

Caution: EARWIG!!:o

I’m so glad you started this thread! Within the past week or two I was browsing YouTube looking for nothing in particular and stumbled upon

Lita Roza “The Man in a Raincoat”

which fits the bill for this thread title. It may have been even longer then 20 years in this particular case. Love that melody.

That sort of thing happens often enough that I sometimes just start bopping around there hoping to be surprised.

Two come to mind:

• When I saw this thread, I immediately flashed on this song. It got minor play in San Francisco in the 80’s, and I remember in the 90’s, pre-YouTube, wanting to hear it and not finding it anywhere, and mentally noting that I wanted to find it. I have forgotten it until just now, but I immediately recalled that mental flag:

The Stems, The Man with the Golden Heart: The Stems - Man with the golden heart - YouTube

Australian poppy, dancey, organ-driven rock - really fun.

• The is an old rock classic called **Night Time **- it was covered by the J. Geils Band on their Love Stinks album (oh, the night time; it’s the right time - I wanna beeeeeeee with you - in the night time). Well, **Joe Jackson **did a cover of it for a Michelob Ad - I asked about trying to find it in Café Society over a decade ago - got nothing. I thought of it a few months ago, and sure enough, found it on YouTube. I am having trouble getting the YouTube video to stream, but here is the link to the old CS thread:

Poco’s Keep On Trying and Rainbow’s Since You’ve Been Gone

Here’s Where the Story Ends by the Sundays (or just about anything by the Sundays.)

I’m not old enough to genuinely participate, and I’m doing a WHOLE BAND, not a song, but Coheed and Cambria were loved and revered by my friends and next-of-friends and me, and now none listed remembers them. They’re a guitar-heavy pop/prog* group with a high-pitched male singer. And I totally forgot all about them until the other day when I got the random urge to hear one of the songs. And it was from an album I used to listen to a couple times a day! All completely blanked out, for some reason. Strange how that happens, eh>

But they made A Favor House Atlantic!! And Devil in Jersey City! And omg Welcome Home!!

Yeah, not particularly compatible. Listen and see. It’s like sci-fi apocalyptic prog-pop-rock.*

**Probably the worst sentence I’ve ever written in my life.

I’d say it’s been over 20 years since I thought of Rainbow’s “Stone Cold”

Lots of stuff from 1981-1984, the early years of MTV, when videos were weird and wonderful, set to catchy but creative tunes (if overly synth-heavy). I got to know and love many songs without ever having to buy the vinyl, and never bought the CD (nor the MP3) later on, so they fit the OP well. Songs like Quarterflash’s “Harden My Heart,” David Bowie’s “Ashes to Ashes,” Flock of Seagulls’ “I Ran,” Split Enz’ “One Step Ahead,” Haircut 100’s “Love Plus One,” and many others.

There is a recent Toyota ad that features a snippet of Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit”, which I’m sure I haven’t heard in over 20 years. I had a college roommate who had that album and we played it all the time.

Most times when I’m in the car I’m listening to NPR or a CD, but sometimes I’ll go flipping through the dial and will hear a song from way back on a classic rock station. What’s scary is how the lyrics will pop right into my head like I just heard it yesterday.

Minnie Riperton - Le Fleurs

This next one isn’t quite 20 years, but it is one of those I had totally forgotten until I heard it on the radio the other day.

Cake - The distance

When I was 12 (so 1985) I watched these 3 videos over and over …

“If You Leave” - OMD
“Captain Of My Heart” - Double
“I Wanna Be A Cowboy” - Boys Don’t Cry

(Sorry no links, YouTube is blocked here.)

I think I heard “Captain Of My Heart” as elevator music one time a few years back.

One Night Stand.

No, it’s probably not the one you’re thinking of, this one goes back to the late 60’s. I hadn’t thought of it for 40 years when it recently popped into my head. It was surprisingly hard to track down.

“And he gets what he can when he can where he can…”

That’s blocked here too.

NOTE: I am not an employee, investor, or in any other way associated with Pro XPN.

I was a big Chicago fan in my early teens-they used to be able to write some pretty compelling melodies, which combined with the horns often made things pretty powerful. Well, Terry Kath blew his brains out, Peter Cetera took over the band, and within like 2 albums (VII was their last decent one) they were utter dogmeat, and I moved on to other artists.

In an idle moment last year I chanced to listen to “Beginnings” on Youtube, and remembered why I liked them so much back in the day. I haven’t gone overboard (their albums were always typically full of filler), but I have gotten like 8 songs of theirs now, and keep them on regular rotation.

When I was a little girl I was really in to the Monkees - albeit some 20-30 years late, in the 80s and 90s. But I had all their stuff and was really in to their movie, Head.

Within the past year, not one but two of their more rare songs were played on shows I watch.
“The Porpoise Song” was on Mad Men and “Goin Down” was on Breaking Bad.

Was really jarring to hear them suddenly after so many years, and to recognize them instantly.