[QUOTE=Tengu]
I didn’t mean ‘point’ as in ‘message’. It doesn’t really have one of those, and it’s all the better for it.
The point it’s missed is what made the original a good horror movie. The original’s most striking, most memorable, and most creepy aspect was never showing ‘Billy’ - except, occasionally his hand in the POV shots - and it was an ‘evil that men do’ flick, not supernatural. If I’m reading the trailers of the new version right, they’ve changed BOTH these parts, rendering it just another derivative gore flick - but not derivative of the movie it takes its name from.
[/QUOTE]
I beg to differ about part of that. The original’s most striking, most memorable aspect (to me) was the presence of One Of The Most Beautiful Women To Ever Grace Our Planet, Olivia Hussey, looking only slightly less beautiful than she did as Juliet in Franco Zeffirelli’s Romeo and Juliet. I don’t remember much about that movie, but I can close my eyes and picture her.
[QUOTE=saoirse]
I still maintain, as I have since I stood in line for 90 minutes to see the 2+ -hour POS “The Last Temptation of Christ,”
[/QUOTE]
The Last Temptation of Christ is, in my opinion, a great film. I think it’s one of Martin Scorsese’s best films. My opinion about a movie about jesus is probably worthless, since I’m an atheist, but I thought it was very powerful, and it certainly touched that part of me that used to believe, that used to regularly attend church and Sunday School and Vacation Bible School before I realized it was all a sham. It astonished me that Christians didn’t embrace the movie, and all over a few seconds of fantasy within the film. With those few seconds OUT, the movie would have been a mainstay of Christian Movies To Watch whenever Christians gather to watch jesus movies (something I had to endure many times).
I am SO glad he didn’t cut those few seconds out for the idiots. Fuck narrowminded Christians. The “What if?” aspect of the movie was there to show Christ’s faith. What if he could have done things differently? What if he could have lived happily ever after with Mary M? He would not have chosen to do that, because his place was exactly where he ended up. He had free will, and he imagined what he could do with that free will, and still his choice was to die for the sins of others and be reborn as the blah blah blah whatever it was. It’s a pious movie and most Christians were too ignorant and sheepish to find out for themselves.