Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

I didn’t see it but i heard it’s a real banger.

Remember the byline: “every accusation is a confession”. If they could, they WOULD force vegetarians to have no choice but eat the meat. So of course they believe the opposite must be the nefarious plot against them.

I get the impression it’s related to the KDF* belief that the world and all who live in it are constantly balanced on the edge of a knife, and any deviation from the Straight Path (as they see it) is likely to call forth the Old Testament God in all His righteous wrath, who will deliver everything to the Toils of Satan. Or somesuch. I once had the temerity to ask why a Creator would do something like that to His Creation, and got a lecture about the Ways of God not being the Ways of Man, and how even asking such a question could bring about the dreaded result. Pretty much the last discussion I’ve ever had with that person.

More to the point, one beauty of this kind of belief is that it can be adapted to any social trend or phenomenon, replacing Eternal Damnation with Social Chaos and Rioting in the Streets. Also useful to keep the rubes in a froth, as I suspect is the case with Cracker Barrel and Chick-Fil-A.

* Knuckle-Dragging Fundamentalist

Manly Men take a shot to the gut. I’m sure it annoys his ghost to no end to hear that he died from a shot to his tummy.

Or, a more likely explanation, is that he was so used to carrying concealed, he forgot he had it on him.

Or, an even more likely explanation, he didn’t equate “gun” with “metal”.

It had its moments. I was shocked that there weren’t major Christian protests about the movie. I mean, one of the major plot points was the Non-Perishables characters talking about creating the grocery store “religion” and how it was all made up. (personally, I loved their “Wasn’t there a part today about exterminating juice? I didn’t write that shit, I love juice. Always have,”

Bottom line, it’s a lot of “potty” humor; makes fun of WASP life and religions, and ends with a food orgy. Literally. The creators were surprised that the only thing the censors objected to in the ending orgy was the pubic hair.

I wish this MFer was a Republican, but no such luck. He deserves to be horse-whipped, tarred, feathered, run out of town on a rail and sent swordless to Palestine.

Steve Marks was born to deal in Maker’s Mark.

This really isn’t a ‘stupid mother-humper’ thing; just an amusing coincidence. I didn’t know where else to put it.

If you don’t want to click, a McDonald’s ‘McCrispy’ sign was put up at a bus stop… right next to a sign pointing to a crematorium. Per the article:

Companies do not put up their own posters, so it is unlikely they are fully aware of where these sorts of ads are going to appear. The Independent has approached Tate St Ives for comment. Cornwall Council said it could not comment on the ads.

Unfortunate advertising placements have become something of a comedy genre online…

But the article wasn’t about the McDonald’s sign. If I’m reading it correctly, they’re saying the new sign is just as bad as that one. I understand where people are coming from with the McDonalds sign, but I’m not understanding the issue with the new sign.

They were left disappointed as the replacement advertised a £5 “locals’ pass” which again drew a line of black humour between the bus stop and the crematorium.

Is there a regional thing that makes bus rides or the phrase “local’s pass” funny when placed next to the crematorium sign?

How about they just get rid of the crematorium sign, does it attract so many visitors that they need a sign? I’d have expected just about everyone that needs to go [drive themselves] there to have a pretty good idea as to where it is.

“Passing” is another term for dying. As in “passing away”.

Having a sign that says “locals’ pass” next to another sign pointing to the crematorium is pretty macabre.

I’m sure they’ll replace it with a fire safety advertisement, or an ad for a local department store with “hot deals”. It’s a curse.

I thought about that and assumed that was the case, but it seems like such a stretch as to not be newsworthy, even for local affiliate.

To me local’s pass is “just as bad” as if it was this sign, because “bought the farm” is also a way to say that someone died.

I think my brain just doesn’t parse “local’s pass” the right way to make the pun work.

Except “bought the farm” is a regional form of slang. Not to mention, it’s probably largely unknown outside of the US (and this story takes places in the UK). “Passing” is the most common way to say that someone has died these days, because it’s a term that’s considered polite and respectful. Most articles in the English language that describe a death will usually say that they “passed”.

While someone can make a joke about “buying the farm”, it’s not something that is part of the standard everyday vernacular. Just look at almost any obituary or story about someone who died.

If the term “passing” next to a crematorium sign doesn’t cause an instant connection in your mind, I would suggest you are unusual in that way.

The apostrophe changes the reading, so the sign is a pretty weak source of concern.

It’s not the passing part, it’s the “local’s” part. When it comes after a possessive noun, pass or passing is no longer a verb.
A traffic sign that said “NO PASSING” would at least make sense.

And this is relevant because…?

I don’t think anyone is accusing this of being a deliberate and explicit reference to the crematorium. No more than the McCrispy chicken sandwich ad did. In both cases, people thought that it was close enough to be insensitive.

Especially at a quick glance, it almost seems to imply that the crematorium is where you go when “locals pass”. I’m sure a number of people who were upset by the sign either didn’t see the apostrophe, didn’t understand it, or didn’t care.

You had initially asked why it was “funny”, and then you nitpicked and analyzed it to death. When you do that, nothing is funny.

I agree, and I think the point Joey P made about part of speech is relevant for how it’s comprehended, but only for readers who use apostrophes correctly. It cues so strongly for a noun to follow that I had to read it in the context of “I don’t get it” to figure out the problem. It might also reflect that I don’t use euphemisms for “die,” so “pass” doesn’t immediately cue for that.

you nitpicked and analyzed it to death

I don’t see it that way–yes, any joke explained isn’t funny, but trying to articulate why people have different responses to the joke or error is explanatory and part of the reason for having a conversation about interpretation.

Only if it can be the Haribo sugar free ones. :poop:

Not to say these guys shouldn’t lose their jobs, but it hardly seems like a huge scandal as government corruption goes. They used their positions to get the opportunity to spend thousands of dollars of their own money on rare bottles of whiskey, which rightfully should have been distributed randomly among Oregon’s liquor stores. So the only Oregonians who were harmed were those who would have wanted to spend four figures on booze and were denied the opportunity. It’s wrong, but it’s not like they were covering up toxic waste in the drinking water or something.

Now here is a strong candidate for the most irresistible clickbait headline ever. Warning: the story is even grosser (and the MF even stupider) than you might expect.

At least he didn’t dance around the issue.

Which seems to be an ever-decreasing minority.