Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

That’s quite a valuable collection of collectors’ items. Does TSA confiscate shit like that, or do they give the would-be traveler a chance to turn around and walk away with his stuff?

They should have given him 23 separate citations (or one 23-count citation).

I left a Swiss Army Knife in my first aid kit and had it snagged by TSA two weeks ago. They said i could take it back out of the Secure area and mail it to myself or give it to soneone. Or they’d dispose of it. I let them keep it.

Yeah, I had a really, really small multi-tool in my dop-kit a while back. It had maybe an inch long blade. Oh, well.

Sucks really, I just got back from a long vacation. Seems I could use a knife nearly every day.

As a state employee, I can tell you exactly what happens to it!

For anything unclaimed, the TSA turns it over to the local state government, and they do what they want with it. In my state (Washington) it goes to our state surplus store, where it is sold from a big warehouse at crazy prices. I have a really cool boxcutter I bought for $1, which at one time someone tried to take onto a plane (probably at SeaTac).

I go to the surplus store every now and then because it’s just down the street from my agency HQ in Tumwater, WA.

There is a big table covered in things like boxcutters, corkscrews, and cheap pocket knives. The fancier stuff is under glass. It’s amazing the cool stuff they have there. Unfortunately, the stuff you see online is pretty limited, you have to go there in-person to see the other things (like the stuff they get from TSA).

I don’t know what the other states do with things from TSA.

They also sell surplus from state government, and cars seized by Washington State Patrol sold at auction.

ETA: Here’s a site talking about this.

Each state sells the TSA confiscated items at auction. The state decides which auction service to use and the state keeps the profit.

So yes, all of the states do this.

Interesting, thanks!

You can also find auctions for this kind of stuff on eBay. They say “TSA” but caveat and all that.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mechanic-killed-after-jeep-lurched-forward-following-oil-change-vehicle-owner-sued/ar-AAWXuLl?li=BBnb7Kz

What the everloving fuck???

The lawsuit filed in March 2021 says vehicle owner Sergio Enrique Diaz-Navarro is “vicariously liable for the negligent acts” of technician Daniel Aleczander Thompson when his use of the vehicle led to the death of a certified mechanic.

When I am King, this lawyer will NOT be the first against the wall. He will be on clean up detail for a week before his turn.

It’s your birthright as a human-ish creature to have a sharp object–whether hand axe or knife–in your posession at all times.

Does wit count?

Your “rapier wit” does.

What sort of fancier stuff?

Shuriken, Bowie knives, weird fantasy-looking knives, swords. Stuff like that.

I agree there are stupid MFers behind this but I don’t think it’s the lawyer.

Sounds lunatic to me but:

[Emphasis mine]

Apparently Michigan has an owner’s liability statute that makes it a legal.

Don’t blame the players; blame the game.

Bad enough we’re dealing with douche Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who T-boned a car (at a pretty good speed, video shows) but then the article, itself, is so completely devoid of important information like - what happened to buddy he smashed into? Was JJ drunk? It’s all just “JJ turned out to be ok, after all”.

Those are interesting questions, all right. Another interesting question: Why was the guy making a LEFT turn from the RIGHT lane?

It didn’t look like he signaled the turn, either.

This is a sports channel after all, not a general news channel, so the skewed coverage is at least not unexpected. As for the accident (as kaylasdad99 noted), the cross street looks like a one-way street, and the car that turned left and got hit was not in the left lane, in fact appeared to start from at least two lanes to the right of that. There’s no reason to suppose Mr. Jones was drunk, he was driving in a straight line with a green light and the other car turned in front of him. It seems he should have had time to slam on the brakes if he was alert, and maybe experts could tell whether he did or not.

I looked up the story in the Dallas paper, thinking “Okay, real journalists will have found out more detail.” Uhhh, big no. Their article was even less helpful, and just ended abruptly after saying that police had not revealed whether Jerry Jones was in the car.

Good job, there, you Woodwards and Bernsteins…

Canada’s donut guys host an outdoor summer camp for underprivileged youth. Which, naturally, requires attendees to be Covid-vaccinated.

This whole boycott Tim’s is a disgusting load of stupid. Protest something meaningful, you scumpuppy.

I’m assuming COVID vaccinations in Canada were at no cost to the person vaccinated ('Cause after all, if the US can, surely Canada…) in which case Ms. Ugolini is perfectly free to set up camps for the unvaxxed. I imagine Sturgis, Idaho would be perfectly happy to host it.

Idaho is a solid guess, but Sturgis is in North Dakota. /nitpick