Omnibus World Football Thread 2020-2022 (edited)

You’re right. The US is probably going to call in Brad Friedel and dig up the corpse of Bert Patenaude

Friedel!? I still have my autographed Kasey Keller jersey and ball, I know who I’m pulling for!

More seriously, glad to see Turner’s foot is healing, but apparently he won’t be back playing for the Revs until May, and then off to Arsenal he goes. Plenty of time to get fit, but he may not get much time on the pitch in the fall…hopefully he’s in good enough shape to compete with Ramsdale.

That Manchester City - Liverpool match wore me out. Might have to take a nap. :sweat_smile:

Not often a match lives up to the hype, this one definitely did!

Is there a reason why that laser bs in the Egypt Senegal match (from a few weeks ago) is allowed?

What laser bs? I’m guessing there were laser pointer shined on players? How would you stop that?

There were hundreds if not thousands of lasers pointed at players.

You’d stop this the same way you’d stop the crowd from throwing batteries at the players.

Stop the match and announce that the home team will forfeit if the behavior does not stop.

Does that really work? All you’d have to do is be a visitor and shine a laser to get the home team disqualified.

Yup, you’d be beaten up a bloody pulp if you’re sitting in the home supporters section and tried this.

And you’d be pretty quickly identified and removed if you were one person doing this. Or ten.

Have you noticed that racist chants aren’t as prevalent as they were in the 1980s? It’s because no one wants their team to play in a closed stadium, not because there aren’t any racists among football fans any more.

Ugh. There is no feeling quite like watching your team crash out of the champions league on a late goal.

Man City 2-0 up in 11 minutes against Real Madrid. They’re at home and this is the first leg so this could be tie over before they go to Madrid. There’s no better team in Europe to punish opponents and get a huge win after an early goal than Man City.

They’re up 3-2 now. Lots of open play, I’m getting winded just watching it.

4-3 now. I’m sure Real Madrid is very happy right now that the away goal rule was abolished for this tournament…

Well this is one heck of a comeback for Real Madrid… I almost feel sorry for Pep.

I can’t believe this tie.

That was really something.

Frankfurt!

I don’t usually pay much attention to Europa League, but I watched the second match and their stadium was a wonderful madhouse. I’m looking forward to their final with Rangers.

Eintracht Frankfurt vs. Glasgow Rangers is a beautiful match as a final for football romantics like me. Pure tradition in both cases, legendary and glorious past achievements in European cups and passionate fans, not “constructions” (as German football fans call it) like RB Leipzig. I’m looking forward to the final.

lol “RasenBallsport”.

Meanwhile, I casually tuned in to watch Brighton & Hove Albion - Man U in the background, and I’m being well-rewarded. What a train wreck MU has been…another Super League team headed to Europa.

Haaland to Man City. It’ll be interesting to see how he fits in.