Omnibus World Football Thread 2020-2022 (edited)

I’m almost embarrassed to ask, I think of course he must, but does he hold the records for most games played and goals scored for Argentina?

Messi already exceeded all expectations by going to the World Cup final this year when many probably expected him and Argentina to exit at much earlier a stage. “Leave when you’re on top.”

Goals yes, games I’m almost sure yes too (and a quick google confirms it)

Funny that the English wikiarticle is longer than the German one! And neither show a picture of his mullet. Mistakes like

He hunderwent several operations

make it even funnier. Could have been me, if I had known him.

Concerning Messi: Sorry, Frodo, but it’s probably for the best and about time too. Argentina gave him the recognition he deserved much too late in his career anyway (remember pechofrío?). I would not go so far as to claim that Argentina did not really deserve such a great player again after Maradona, not on the day he steps down. But ask me next month and we may have a great discussion.

Oh no doubt about it, but the news is making everybody sad anyway.

Do I remember? I defended him against such accusations at the time! I also wrote this:

Deserve has nothing to do with it…
Anyway while I wrote in my post in 2022 that we didn’t deserve him I wonder how such things could be measured.
Certainly no country on Earth suffered as much and celebrated as hard the World Cup as we did, that has to count for something.

As for having had Maradona and then Messi (and you forgot DiStefano), I have a theory/prophecy/pipe dream…
You see Messi was born in June, 1987 about a year after Diego won the world cup, Messi won it in December, 2022… May be there’s now a 3 and half year old in Greater Buenos Aires, Rosario, Cordoba, Entre Rios or Corrientes sleeping embracing a ball and dreaming of Glory…

I did not forget Di Stéfano, he just played for Real Madrid and we don’t speak of him at home.

My favorite trivia from the article:

Yeah, the good old journalistic ethics of the Bildzeitung at work. As kids, we had a joke about it almost 50 years ago:

“Mann dreht Frau durch Fleischwolf. BILD sprach zuerst mit der Frikadelle.”

“Man puts woman through meat grinder. BILD the first to speak with the meatloaf”

Thought this video was worth linking, as we’ve been talking about Messi. This guy is unbelievably good at impressions. This time, everyone just wants to pay tribute to the great man (some of these may go over people’s heads if you’re not familiar with the English Premier League). Worth watching just for his Trump!

Not sure if it goes here or in WC thread.

Doesn’t a player usually consult with the coach before going to the press?

Yes, it’s unusual for a player to raise thoughts of quitting while still undecided, normally you’ll see a clear statement of retirement.

David Squires wants you the cheer up:

Now France is giving it to Infantino. The screw tightens. But quickly / effectively enough?

Hehe I saw it.
But I hope he doesn’t have to come back to save us AGAIN, he’s earned his rest.

Just popping in with my periodic Canadian content to praise the Davies goal for Bayern today. Not sure I’ve ever seen a shot struck harder than that.

Yeah, that was a missile, and really unexpected. I’m glad to see him fit again.

It really was a pity for him and Canada that he wasn’t already quite there in the WC.

Arsenal to play at Highbury again for the first time in over 20 years! In the 4th round of the Carabao Cup at Fleetwood Town, that is.

Harry Kane is apparently interested in signing for both an NFL team as a kicker and an MLS team. Plenty of tread on his tires so if he comes to MLS next year or the year after I’m all for it. I think it’d be cool for him to play in the NFL as well, but seems a wild risk. Apparently there are 3 cities that have teams in both leagues with the same owner: Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas. Columbus + Cleveland is also close.

Cavan Sullivan, a 16 year old in MLS, is getting a start for the US in a friendly today. I feel like there’s been less hype around him than when Adu or Pulisic were just coming up, but I’m starting to be excited about his potential.

Well, he’s already on the scoresheet at halftime! Granted, it’s for a yellow card…

Sullivan is a pretty exciting prospect - he’s already signed a deal to go to Man City at age 18 (one year and two days from today). It’s hard to project a 16-year-old, especially one that doesn’t have top-drawer speed or off-the-shelf ball skills, but Sullivan is so good already at using time and space to his advantage and making very precise passes to unlock defenses, it’s hard to see him not having a solid career.

Poch is playing a very young lineup today, I hope this means he’s in it for the cycle.

1-1 at the break, second half starting.