On public toilet habits

I avoid sitting on public toilets for as long as I can. Fortunately as a man, I am faced with this problem less frequently than women.

I always wipe the seat before sitting down. Do any other men have this neurotic response or something similar?

I have heard that many women avoid sitting on the pot altogether by crouching just over the pot. But why then do I always here about men getting abuse for not putting the lid down? What’s the straight dope ladies?

I work in a fairly small building, only about 100 people spead evenly over six floors, and one potty per floor. That’s about 8 people per shift using the seat, I reckon. That’s about the size of a large family. I don’t even bother to wipe the seat as long as it can pass (tee-hee!) a visual inspection.

If I worked in a bigger building with a lot more traffic throught the rest rooms, I might be a little more anal (sorry!) about it.

And yes, I use the handicapped stall because everything looks bigger in there.

No neuroses, so far as I know. I do inspect the seat for wetness, and act accordingly (there has got to be a special place in Hell for seat-pissers, c’mon guys). In multi-stall rooms, I find I tend to use the same stall.

Of course, there is that worry-that-something-will-fall-out-of-my-pocket-into-the-commode thing, but that’s normal. Right?

I would guess that the women who squat do it in public toilets to avoid catching germs or diseases from the seat. There would be no need to crouch over the toilet in your own home - unless you were incredibly paranoid. :slight_smile:

When I was little, my mother used to take me into toilet stalls with her and make me squat over the bowl. To this day, I still have a fear of falling inside. :frowning:

At home or work I sit down…because I know how frequently those toilets are cleaned.

Unfamilar places I’ll lift the seat and then hover over the toilet-it is a major pet peeve of mine how some women do the hover and proceed to pee all over the seat.Do they wipe off the seat?

No they just mark their territory…

If I ever happen to catch someone leaving a stall like that I plan to explain gently how absolutely DISGUSTING that is.