On the closing of the Elon Musk Twitter thread

Namely, “Now that Elon Musk has bought Twitter” in IMHO.

I know, I know, you can’t win when you’re a mod, and too many of us like to whine, but here’s the thing. Although I only occasionally posted to that thread, it was my favourite ongoing thread to read on the entire board, because it was a great source of breaking news about the ongoing Twitter fiasco.

I fully recognize that a lot of unwanted snipping was going on, but I’d like to point out that the thread overall was very informative (and entertaining!) and I would have preferred that the problem posters be told to knock it off or even banned from the thread, without ruining the breaking-news discussion for the rest of us.

Seconded. A new thread, maybe in MPSIMS, that’s heavily moderated to avoid bullshit, would be appreciated.

Thirded. A breaking news style thread would be welcome.

Personally I’d prefer to see the current thread continue, with the disruptive posters dealt with, because there are a lot of informative and entertaining posts in there, but one way or another, we really do need to keep tracking this major techno-socio-political fiasco! :slight_smile:

This was a bizarre decision. I note that WE mentioned ‘reported posts’, which lends one to suspicions…

I also agree it’s a very good thread. It seems like normally the sniping posters would get warnings and things would calm down, I’m not sure what happened here.

Agree with all of the above. It was the most convenient place to keep up with a wide range of new goings on with Twitter and it seems a shame to end it just because of people intent on derailing it.

I have been reading this thread regularly. I have found it quite informative. It seems unfair to close it based on some posters’ shenanigans.

Requiring a restart in a different thread I think would be a less useful resort, because one would lost the track record of all the context that had been posted in the thread.

Never mind

FWIW I agree w the consensus of this thread. Instruct the personal snipers to calm down or butt out and let the “Now that Musk has bought Twitter” thread continue as a breaking / ongoing news thread.

The alternative is that some poster creates a new such thread, makes ref to the old one, and the same fanboys/anti-fanboys will soon be sniping at each other in the new one. It’s unclear to me how that outcome is better than reopening the original thread with suitable modnotes.

Admittedly we have 3 Musk threads going now: that one, the “why quit twitter?” one, and the “Musk and his hard-core ultimatum to employees” one. Which is probably plenty. But those latter two are much less the breaking news style.

The moderators tried that–asking posters not to make it personal–and were ignored.

Wait – so if moderator instructions are ignored, the mods have no other recourse but to give up?

Exactly this.

Well, they could issue warnings, but then we’d have an ATMB thread about that. Sometimes they just can’t win.

You can’t think of any other option available to them?

For violating moderator instructions? No, I cannot.

Thread bans are a powerful tool that is often the hammer the mods are looking for to fix the occasional loose screw of a poster.

I chose the word “Instruct” over the nicer “ask” on purpose. As you have rightly said, asking wasn’t working. So in line with the LEO SOP of “Ask, Tell, Make” IMO it’s time for the mods to kick it up a notch. As others have said in posts just above, that amounts to thread bans, warnings, etc.

Admittedly the thread had degenerated into more of a “Musk is a jerk” chorus than a rational discussion of the plot twists and turns.

Then again, a bit as with Trump’s antics over the years, there comes a point where the free-form zaniness of the apparently logic-free plot sort of defies rational analysis. At which point “The protagonist must be crazy” becomes about all one can say.

Concur 100%

…while I would have liked the thread to stay open, I don’t have a problem with it being closed. Debate is good. But pile-on’s are just boring.

I didn’t report any posts, but I should have. I’m not entirely sure what “suspicions” you have, but there were plenty of posts in that thread that weren’t appropriate.

I will consider reopening it tomorrow but it will require some thread bans apparently as a few posters refused to remain civil and not go after other posters.

A reminder, disagreement with a poster’s position does not equal they’re trolling.
Attacking another poster does violate our rules and disrupt threads.
Sidebars about 88 don’t help much either.

I’m not sure if any mod is willing to take the bullet to keep that thread on track, I’m not.