Oncologist Update

they do have eyebrow wigs…

i hope all goes well on thursday. a snail will be sent in your honour that day.

When your hair is ready to fall out it will actually start to hurt if it’s still long. And for me at least, once it fell out, it stopped growing until after the chemo was done, but everybody is different.

Also, when your chemo is done and your hair finally returns, don’t be in a rush to let it grow out right away. Steal your husband’s electric razor, if he has one, (no sense using your own) and keep shaving your head for about two weeks after you see the first signs of regrowth. Otherwise it’ll regrow in patches and be very thin and wispy, at least the first half inch or so. Bald is exotic and sexy. Patchy, scraggly hair isn’t.

At least you don’t have to worry about regrowing your chest hair. :smiley:

Ivylass, I just want to add to the other people’s wishes: we’re all rooting for you. Take care!

Sending good vibes your way from Vegas ivylass.

I know I haven’t posted in these threads before, but I have been following your ordeal, always hoping for the best. But, my thoughts/prayers/stick shaking goes out to you.

My kittehs also send magical healing kitteh powers to you.

Pulling for you in this corner, Lass! One of my colleagues, a sales rep, spent the first half of the year recovering from mastectomy and reconstruction. A few weeks ago our community held its annual Relay for Life; our radio station was a major sponsor and J. walked in the Survivors’ Lap to kick off the whole thing. We applauded and cried the whole time she and about 200 fellow cancer survivors strutted around that high school track. She’s back in fighting form and knocking down the commissions just like before … she is my hero! i think you will be, too. Good thoughts and, yes, prayers to you from County Road 370 North.

Well, at least I won’t have to shave my legs for awhile! :smiley:

I’m trying not to be grumpy, but I don’t have to be at the hospital until noon. And I haven’t eaten since midnight. No coffee, no toast, no cereal, no bacon, no water.

Grrrrr…waiting sucks. Especially since I want everything to be over and I can’t start chemo until the surgeon gets clear margins.

Good luck! My best wishes to your growling stomach…

Crossing all appendages…

Good luck ivylass! Lots of prayers headed your way!

I’ll be thinking of you today!

Prayers, candles, and what 'Monkey said. Go for it!

Good vibes on the way!

I guess one silver lining to your temporary baldness is that you will experience it in Florida in summer, not Minnesota in winter.

My mom’s doing really well with her chemo treatments right now, and it is entirely possible to continue working while doing chemo; strangely enough, she’s able to work full-time now that she’s gone through two chemo treatments. I guess the chemo is helping her energy and appetite levels immensely now. I’m sure that you should be able to get through this with good results.

If any of your friends offer, accept “silk” scarves from them; my mom’s using them as regular headcovering while her hair’s fallen out from chemo and it’s an easy way to keep your head covered without having the itchiness of a wig. Plus, there’s the bonus of being a one-step fashion plate; you’ll get lots of compliments on whatever the headwear is if it’s unusual to see in public. If I were better at knitting (I just learned) or crocheting (gonna put that off 'til I’m good at knitting), I’d definitely knit you some chemo caps.

Oh! that brings up another thing. Use tons of sunscreen. The chemo makes it much easier to sunburn. We don’t want you cured of breast cancer, only to get skin cancer!

You can carry a southern belle parasol

No word yet… :frowning:

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to worry anyone.

I’m a bit more uncomfortable this time than I was the last time. They inserted the port on the right side, did more surgery on the left, and raising my arms is a bit difficult.

I ate dinner last night (soup, crackers, toast) but I woke up with a raging headache that I attributed to a lack of caffeine. I had some coffee and crackers, but that came up again.

So, I took a nap. :smiley:

Now, I feel somewhat better, a little drained, but I was able to keep down a cup of soup.

Yes, I’m taking the Tylox, and yes, I’m taking it easy. From what I can tell, the port wasn’t bandaged, but covered up with some sort of glue. The nurse did mention something called Derma-Bond. In any event, I can’t shower until tomorrow evening.

I did find myself crying a bit when I woke up from the surgery. The fact that I have CANCER and I have a port UNDER MY SKIN so I can have CHEMO sort of hit me all at once. The nurses at the hospital are great and very understanding. I did feel better as I got more awake.

I see my surgeon again next Thu, so hopefully, this time he got it all and I can get moving on getting this over with.

It’s good to hear from you ivylass and know that you’re feeling somewhat better. Many, many prayers coming your way from here!

Well, yeah…you should cry any damned time you want to. If you need a shoulder, I’m not far away.

I’m so glad things went okay, Ivy. You’re sure as hell entitled to cry. The situation sucks. :frowning: You’re doing great and you’ll get through it, but it still sucks.

I can’t believe you think your recovery is more important than our regular updates :wink:

We’re all pulling for you!