Oncologist Update

Ivylass, I’m so sorry, and I’d be lying if I told you I never get all emotional about having cancer, myself. It sucks and you can never take a day off from having cancer. sigh

I wish I lived a lot closer so I could come over and be your own personal nurse.
Not that I am licensed or anything, but I have quite a bit of experience.
In lieu of that, I hope things pick up for you!

I feel much better today. The stupid thing about this whole thing is that *I don’t feel sick! * So how can I have a life threatening illness?

Grrrr…

I am so looking forward to taking a shower this afternoon, and I plan on giving myself a pedicure. Then, back to work on Monday!

Hang in there! We’re here for you to vent to, or cry on our shoulders, or whatever.

{{{Ivylass}}}

The crying thing was weird…I think it had something to do with coming out of the anesthesia. I was fine afterward. I also woke up coughing…'sup with that? :confused:

Oh well. Weird things happen I guess when you have general anesthesia.

{ivylass} Only one bracket for a gentle hug so as not to hurt the boobages; yours or mine. I had my rightie cut into yesterday to biopsy the tumor they found in my mammo last month.

Sending healing thoughts your way!

Crap, Shayna! Here’s hoping they don’t find anything!

Thank, ivylass. I’m trying not to be nervous because the doctor is convinced, based on her visual on the sonogram, that it’s a benign fibroadenoma. But even if that’s what it is, since a small percentage of them can be cancerous, and with my family history (both my mother and a paternal aunt had breast cancer). . . well, I’m trying not to think about it. I find out on Tuesday.

In the meantime, I’ve got the girl on ice, I’m propped up in bed with a bed tray, and my hubby is catering to me like a princess, so it’s not all bad. :wink:

Well, make sure you update us on Tuesday!

Cheer yourself up: go shopping for wigs!

Oh, I’m not going to bother with a wig. The women’s center associated with my hospital gives them away for free. I’ve heard they’re itchy and uncomfortable, and I’d rather wear a scarf or a hat. Who knows…if my hair doesn’t grow back by the company Christmas party, I might just sport a lovely sparkly scarf to go with the new dress I’m going to buy! (Yes, I’ve lost weight! But that’s okay…I’ve finally found a plan that works for me.)

Was your throat sore too? You probably had a breathing tube in during the surgery.

The other reason you might cough is the fact the under anesthesia you donn’t have much of a gag reflex, so saliva can collect at the entrance to your tracha. Once you can, you cough it up.

They did intubate me both times, but I was under when they put it in and took it out, so all I had was a very slight sore throat. I guess intubation is SOP.

I took a shower today…I noticed the surgeon removed the steri-strips from my first surgery (I was told to leave them on until they fell off) and I am WAY bruised up where they put the port. It’s still tender to the touch…so I won’t touch it! :smiley:

I’m only needing the Tylox every eight hours or so…I’ll take another one at 9pm and toddle off to bed.

Still thinking good thoughts for you, ivylass (and now for Shayna too). Hope it’s smooth sailing from here.

GT

The last time I went under general, I woke up sobbing, in the midst of some weird dream that my 5-year-old was home alone taking care of the babies, and I was totally panicked. The doctor and nurses thought I was loony, because I couldn’t stop crying for about 15 minutes. Now I’m told it’s not an uncommon reaction.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and I wish you the best. I don’t know you, but I do admire your positive attitude.

Regards,
A cancer survivor for 19 years

As always, wishing you good luck. Hang in there!

Please at least go and have a look at some proper ones. My parents’ neighbour had breast cancer and lost her hair. She had some wonderful wigs which looked perfect on her.

Your port may be uncomfortable now, but it will save you much pain and discomfort in the long run. I made the mistake of not getting one until a year after I’d been diagnosed, thinking I could just tough it out. Well I did, but the difference between having one and not is like night and day.

With the port, the nurse never has to root around looking for a vein for an IV, one stick and you’re done each time. They can pump the chemo into you about twice as fast since there’s more flow. And you don’t have to endure the burning, itchy feeling of chemo going into you and turning your veins all hard and rubbery, making it harder and harder for the nurse to start an IV each time.

Good luck, Ivylass, my prayers are with you.

And sometimes you just have to cry. I’m a guy, and a very repressed one. When my daughter MoonUnit was born she was placed in the NICU right away. On her second or third day there I was visiting the NICU and talking with one of the nurses when I just started crying. I guess I just needed to sit down and cry for five minutes. After I did that I was back in control. MoonUnit is eleven going on thirty as I write this, and to this day I don’t know why I had to cry at that particular moment - nothing about her condition changed in any way immediately before or after that. The scary stuff was earlier, and later, but not then.

People are complex and strange.

Interesting point about general anesthesia, MissGyspy. Ignorance fought!

Gentle hugs to all of you!

Umm… do you have a favorite color for hats and things?

Just curious.

/whistles innocently/