One Eve Missed: "Bikini" songwriter Paul Vance dies

Paul Vance, co-writer of a number of songs, died on September 6. The news was just announced today. His song Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini, co written with Lee Pockriss, was both a number-one hit for Bryan Hyland in 1960 and a Abu Gharibesque torture device used by East German police.

In further developments…

Gotta hate it when that happens. :wink:

Beats the Hell out of the alternative. :slight_smile:

That’s amazing! I wonder how many celebrities have been victims of impostors with the exact same name? I guess the thread title should be changed, maybe adding an “…or does he?” to it.

True, dat.

Evidently the plot is thickening…

Yeah. JohnT added the roux about an hour and a half ago.

By the fake Paul Vance’s wife:

Although I’m sorry for her loss and I can imagine how upsetting it must be to discover a lie, I suppose she thinks it’s better to be blissfully deluded about the circumstances rather than face up to the fact that someone other than her is suffering from her late husband’s actions.

I’m usuallty relived.
I once met a guy in a bar that claimed to be ‘Archie Bell’ of Archie Bell and the Drells who had a hit song called Tighten Up. The thing is, I had just read a book about all the number one songs of the rock eara up to 1985 and I knew that Archie was black and my bar companion was not.

Could he dance just as good as he walked?

Crap.

I guess it didn’t occur to her that the reason Paul Vance is publicizing his not dead status is because of the number of calls he and his family were getting regarding his so-called death.

Good Lord, woman, the man’s grandchildren thought he had died. You want him to pretend to be dead so you can continue to live in the world your husband lied to create?

Kee-rist.

They’re “not going after him for the royalties”? Say what? Does she really think that an imposter or his heirs would have any claim to royalties on something he never wrote?

I thought Homer Simpson was both Archie Bell and the Drells.

The dead guy probably used that line to ‘seal the deal’ so to speak.

Not really the same name. The deceased man was Paul Van Valkenburgh. He told his wife he used Paul Vance as a pseudonym for writing songs. And he told her he had sold the rights to the song shortly after writing it to explain the lack of royalties.