One-hit wonder bands you saw live

linear, bel biv devoe, and someone who sang the rico sauve song iirc

I even have the linear t-shirt :o

Peter Frampton, twice.

The Arc Angels (bonus points to anyone who can tell me who the bassist and drummer played with before).

I saw the previously mentioned Spin Doctors open for the Stones and also caught Elastica at a cramped li’l club for probably $3.

I’m not sure if all of these bands qualify as “one hit wonders,” but…

1. I saw A Flock of Seagulls in 1982, as the opening act for Squeeze (I think “I Ran” was their only hit).

2. I saw Mr. Big (the only song of theirs I ever heard was “To Be With You”) as the opening opening act for Great White and the Scorpions.

3. I saw Faith No More (was “Epic” their only hit?) as the opening act for Billy Idol.

4. I know that they had a lengthier career in Canada, but Saga only had one hit in the U.S.- “On the Loose.” I saw Saga as the opening act for JEthro Tull.

I saw the band Scandal, which should have been a one hit wonder. As it was they had at least two hits, Goodbye to You and The Warrior.

I saw the Atlanta Rhythm Section looong after their heyday (So Into You). They weren’t bad live.

I also saw The Alarm (68 Guns, maybe one or two others?) and a band called IIRC The Red Rockers, who had a very minor hit called China in the early 80s.

Oh, and I saw the Replacements live several times. Great, great band but I think they may have had only one “hit” (I’ll be You)

I saw Men at Work (my first concert ever) way back in '83? '84? Gads, that piece of info must have been stored in some of those brain cells I’ve lost in the meantime…

Stevie Ray Vaughn opened, though! :eek:

I saw Modern English in 1983. Their hit “I’ll Stop the World and Melt With You” (or something to that effect) was used in a commercial to advertise a Burger King sandwich about 15 years later.

I saw The Cardigans (Love Fool) in about '96 or so.
Great show. Wasn’t such a fan of their album that came out after that, but I still get a kick out of listening to their earlier stuff once in a while.

I saw Ugly Kid Joe - you know, they sang "I Hate Everything ABout You - They opened for another one-hit wonder, Scatterbrain. Not the most amazing show, but it was actually fun.

I saw the Georgia Satellites back in…must have been 1982 or 83 at Sloppy Joe’s in Key West. It was a free show and they were just The Satellites back then. But man, they blew the roof off the dump. And a couple years later, I was driving around Miami and their song came on the radio - Keep Your Hands to Yourself - and I remembered them, and what a good show it was. Where are they now?

My buddy Dave and I saw Katrina and the Waves (Walking on Sunshine) at a tres crappy strip club. This was the summer before their song became the monster summer hit we all recall.

There was probly 7 people in the audience including a very embarrassed radio station rep.

The bad came on and played a solid full set for us. Really cool.

Dave and I went ‘backstage’ after the concert thanked them and wished them well. I said they’ll be big.

I saw The Babys open for Styx in '77 or '78. My first concert, <i>Evar!</i>

belladonna: Vixen’s Edge of a Broken heart was evidently released in '88, so you’re probably closer to the right date than I am.

Their second album was released in '90, and I don’t think any of the tunes from that one were in the short set we saw, so I’d guess it was '88 or '89.

[sub]And yes, I know this because we have both albums on tape. We don’t throw away nothin’ 'round here.[/sub]

I saw Katrina and the Waves on the Mall in DC back in '85. The Beach Boys also performed, and a few others I can’t remember now.

I saw Level 42 open for Madonna at RFK Stadium in DC during the summer of 1987.

Do The Tubes count? i saw them at The Bayou in DC also in 1987.

I’ve heard rave reviews about them from other people, although I’ve never seen them. Didn’t they change their name or something?

The Knack at the Manly Flicks
The Sex Pistols at the 100 Club
and several Aussie bands
Ratcat
Sunny Boys
The Swingers

The critically beloved Replacements began when Paul Westerberg more or less invited himself into a band called Dogbreath, which included the other three guys. They soon switched to calling themselves The Replacements (also known as The Placemats or just 'Mats). Aaaah … a fine, fine 80s punk band.

My first post…

Simple Minds… From the Breakfast Club Movie…“Don’t you forget about me”

Flock of Seagulls…

Kade

Not much to add here. I saw Glass Tiger open for Journey in '86 and The Moody Blues in '87. #2 hit “Don’t Forget Me (When I’m Gone)”. Sounds too much like Wham! to be an accident, at least I thought so. “Someday” got to #7, are they still OHWs?

Cause these people are NOT!

Dr. Hook: 6 Top Ten hits like “When You’re In Love With A Beautiful Woman” & “Sylvia’s Mother”
Peter Frampton: Baby, I Love Your Way" #12 “Do You Feel Like We Do” #10 “I’m in You” #2 “Show Me the Way” #6
Men at Work: This set me off. Two #1s and two more Top Tens

Questionable but not very questionable

The Babys: “Every Time I Think of You” & “Isn’t It Time” both topped at #13.
The Knack: “Good Girls Don’t” – this one goes to #11. Aaa, still OHWs.
Atlanta Rhythm Section: “Imaginary Lover” & “So In To You” both peaked at #7.
This is totally US-centric… #s from Billboard’s Hot 100.

The Proclaimers (“I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more”)