One-hit wonder bands you saw live

I saw Quiet Riot back in High School (about 1984). “Cum on feel the Noize” was their hit. Spelling was not their strong suit.

That was a cover of Slade. The misspellings were their gimmick. QR also covered “Mama Weer All Crazee Now”. The attention gave Slade a bit of a comeback in 1984 with “Run Runaway”.

I saw The Presidents of the United states of America, who did Lump/ They were a pretty good show. I’ve also seen Ashley McIssac perform his one hit Sleepy Maggie, which was good, but the rest of his set was so-so.

And astorian, I’ve always like Faith No More’s “Easy like Sunday Morning” more than “Epic”.

I caught Saigon Kick when they opened for Tesla.
I caught Ugly Kid Joe when they opened for Ozzy… although they had 2 hits.
I saw Slaughter at the same Ozzy concert.

Crazy Town was nice, but I’m a HUGE fan. Sadly, I think they’re destined for One Hit Wonderland, and the song isn’t even very much like the rest of their music. I saw them at OzFest.

Kittie was at the same OzFest.

Beyond that, I’m sure I’ve seen a few other at OzFests, but nothing that really gets in my brain.

Pollstar.com says they’re gonna be playing Club Liquid in Stafford, VA on March 15th. Is that close enough for ya?

After finding that, I searched for some of the other bands mentioned and found several that are still performing. The Knack has two dates this year, and Simple Minds and Quiet Riot have actual tours with something like 20 dates each.

I saw those three on the same tour when they came through Anchorage many moons ago. Damn good show. Mr. Big still tours but mostly in Japan. Scorpions still tour as well. Very sadly, Great White might not tour for a while, if ever again.

A package tour called “Rock and Roll Shootout” around 1991 contained the following:
Blue Cheer (one hit wonder, I believe). They literally were on stage for about 10 minutes.
Mountain. No, wait; it wasn’t even “Mountain.” It was “the guy from Mountain,” Leslie West (?). I believe this qualifies as a one-hit wonder.
Joey Molin (?). “The Guy from Badfinger.” Does this qualify as a one-hit wonder?

Other bands playing (who I don’t believe qualify as one-hit wonders) were the Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, and Foghat.

We were quite excited at the time because we got to park right next to Foghat’s bus, which said “Slow Ride” on the little sign where the destination is usually listed. Boy, is that funny to think about now.

Nineiron - I actually owned a Blue Cheer record on the early 70’s. They had a pretty good version of ‘Summertime Blues’.

koeeoaddi I take it you saw the same Beatles tour I did? But that’s another story!

Well, yeah, “Summertime Blues” was the one hit I was referring to. I had a 45 of that song which had Ram Jam’s “Black Betty” on the other side, I believe. It was some sort of “Classic” collection that it was a part of.

Two funny things about that “Rock and Roll Shootout” show:

1. The guy from Mountain, formerly about 300 pounds, was really skinny when we saw him. We figured he just couldn’t afford to eat anymore. We then called him “Molehill.”

2. Blue Cheer’s ten minute set made us think that they honestly did not know any other songs, even after 20-25 years as a band.

I saw the Ides of March back in '69. I’m pretty sure “Vehicle” was their only hit.

I saw Spirit in '70, and I don’t think they had a hit other than “I Got a Line on You.” But that’s a damn shame. They were a terrific group and should have charted a bunch of songs - “Nature’s Way,” “Mr. Skin,” “Animal Zoo” and so on.

Oh! And I saw Vanilla Fudge open for Hendrix in ‘69. I think they had a hit with their cover of "You Keep Me Hangin’ On."

at the Roxy, Hollywood

I saw “Flock Of Seagulls” at the Arizona State Fair. I know what you’re thinking, but this was actually while their hit 'I Ran" was either still on the charts or only recently dropped off. I also met the guy from “Night Ranger” who was the lead singer/drummer that same night in a radio remote broadcast trailer. It was a big 80’s night for this pubescent geek.

Do you mean did they change their name from the Replacements to something else? Cause the answer to that is no, they broke up. I suppose they could get back together someday, but I am not holding my breath. Paul Westerberg seems set on a solo career.

Jeff Loeden I concede you the Atlanta Rhythm Section. Two hit wonders.

Other people have reminded me of some more I have seen: The Time and Sheila E (on Prince’s Purple Rain Tour) and the Proclaimers, which I believe is actually the last concert I attended, must be 6-7 years ago now! Yes, I am an old suburban fart.

Oh and I was once forced to sit through Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam/Full Force.

Sorry I screwed up your name Jeff.

Heh, that stupid sample would be Mr B. B. King. :slight_smile:

Speaking of one hit wonders, I saw The Vines play live. They were absolutely terrible and the crowd hated them for it. <shudder>

A couple of great bands mentioned here that really don’t belong, but I guess they do qualify. I’m thinking of the Replacements (and no, they didn’t change their name) and the Violent Femmes, who had long, sucessful careers but in a narrow classification of music that almost never produces “hits”.

From that same classification would be Soul Asylum (Runaway Train). I saw them many times in the 80’s. My last night in my college town (Madison, WI) I saw Los Lobos, who had one huge hit - La Bamba, but also had a long sucessful career. And I just remembered - The Future’s So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades, by Timbuk Three. They used to be a local act called Pat McDonald and the Essentials back then.

In Philadelphia in the thunder and lightning. I still have my ticket stub. What a show! (Sorry for the hijack)

I did too, I musta blocked it out of my memory. Opened for the Moody Blues sometime in the '90s.

No they didn’t, idjit! No I’m inventing memories!

They played their album before the concert. Other times I’ve heard Sinead O’Connor and the soundtrack from “The Craft”.

HEY!! I saw them too when they performed at Disney EPCOT when I worked there…and I sorta kinda in a way…liked it too:D

Reoch

I saw After the Fire (Der Comisar) get booed off the stage openeing for Van Halen.