One inch punch..

can i see a vdeo anywhere (online) of bruce lee performing the one inch punch?

I’m searching now. There’s a still photo here:

It’s hard to describe. It was never something I’ve put into my arsenal as anything more than a novelty shot, so I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to accurately describe it. It’s very much about body dynamics and maintaining a centreline shot.

I’ll keep searching. Your best bet is to go down to a Wing Chun school, or a Jeet Kune Do school, and ask them to demonstrate it for you. If you don’t have either of those arts available, try to the schools you do have. I first learned it from a Ninjitsu instructor.

http://www.wingchun.org/viewpt/vp1-4n.html

Here and look here for other pages. (I tried the first one and it works).

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8669/stblast.htm

Here’s a fairly straightforward description of how to do it, with some fuzzy still shots from Bruce’s Long Beach demonstration. You can really see the distance he gets on the guy.

well… damn. I wanted to find the video first.

MUHAHAHAHAHA!! For once I find something first!
Too bad I can’t get the Brisk Ice Tea video to work… that was my favorite in that series of commercials.

A one-inch punch is simply a demonstration of the conservation of momentum. What you are doing is using the power in all the muscles of your body to start your body rotating. Then at the moment of impact you tense your arm and shoulder, and make your opponent’s body absorb all the force from stopping the rotation of your body, all concentrated in a 1" area.

You don’t even need that inch. I’ve seen a big man get his ribs broken by someone using this technique while leaving his palm flat on the guy’s chest.

In Okinawan Karate, we focus on rotating the hips through lots of techniques, which adds power to all the punches.

[hijack]

Could we pause for a moment and consider the possibility of getting one-inch punched by Anal Scurvy? Talk about an unsettling image…:smiley:

(Given that you know martial arts, please note that this was not intended as a dig, Mr./Ms. Scurvy, just a play on words…:wink: )

pfff I’ve got a pretty good sense of humour. Note the name.

Mr./Ms. Scurvy, I have no doubt of your sense of humor (sorry, AmerEnglish spelling), but if my mom ever taught me anything, it was “go out of your way not to piss off anyone who calls themselves ‘Anal Scurvy’”. Yep, that’s what she said.

Since I have completely hijacked this thread already(and the OP appears to have been answered) - what the heck IS Anal Scurvy, anyway, or is it just a made-up term?

Curious,

WordMan

Did anyone eles get hooked on that dorky song while waiting for the Bruce Lee clips to load?

Naw, I got it a few years ago when I wasn’t sitting on enough citrus. Really fucked me up, so now I try to spread the word. It’s not fun and games.

Oh…ouch.

Wouldn’t a little Preparation C help with that?

I know the question has been answered, and this is going to be a hijack, but I just wanted to add my 2¢.

The two most spectacular KO’s in boxing history were both very short punches, about six inches actual travel distance: Rocky Marciano’s KO over Jersey Joe Walcott (the first fight), and Sugar Ray Robinson’s KO over Billy Fulmer (made even more interesting because at the time Sugar Ray was basically moving backward.)