One of George Washington's soldiers lived long enough to be photographed

Just stumbled across this on Wikipedia - quite remarkable. He even took part in Washington’s Christmas 1776 crossing of the Delaware: Conrad Heyer - Wikipedia

107 holy hell. That’s really cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Nice. However Niépce’s first photograph was taken in 1826; even allowing a decade for it to take off, that’s only half a century after the peace treaty.
That little wretch Louis Philippe, the Usurper, was actually photographed in 1842 and he was born in 1773, and fought for the Revolution in the Army of the North.

I have shared before that I was surprised to learn that there is a photograph (daguerreotype) of Dolley Madison.

The photo of Heyer looks posthumous to me.

:stuck_out_tongue:

You might expect that at least a few other Revolutionary War veterans might have been photographed, since a young soldier at Yorktown would have been in his late seventies by the time daguerreotypes became available in the 1840s.

Super cool. Thanks for sharing!

I hope I look that good at 103.

Very cool! He looked great for 103!

Yeah, I woulda guessed no more than 101! :wink:

There is a photograph of Wellington as well.

The last surviving veteran of the Revolution died in 1869.

Indeed there is: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington - Wikipedia

John Quincy Adams is the earliest U.S President whose photograph I can find. I can’t find any photographs of Grey; so I am presuming that Wellington is the earliest UK P.M to be photographed.

Adams was a Congressman when that picture was taken; the first U.S. President photographed while in office was William Henry Harrison:

As it happens I was looking yesterday at a list of US vice presidents: List of vice presidents of the United States - Wikipedia and they had pictures of them. Up to Millard Fillmore who was Zachary Taylor’s VP, they were all portraits. From then on they all appear to be photographs, starting with William R. King who died in 1853 about 6 weeks into his term as Franklin Pierce’s VP. The first color photo was Spiro Agnew, Nixon’s vice.

Maybe this was just added, but there’s now a photo for George M. Dallas, Polk’s VP and Fillmore’s predecessor in that office.