One pants leg up in NYC=Gang member?

Just noticing it!?!? Make that, “just asking about it now,” por favor. Ouch! Anyone out there really believe that it doesn’t hurt to ask?:slight_smile:

interesting, starbury.

have ye an article to back it up?

I suspect that my statement came across as harsher than it was intended to. I was surprised (not being sarcastic) you noticed it now (or at least, asked it now) because it seemed to me that this practice was less frequent in New York these days.

Also, as a follow up to your original questions…one sign of gang affiliation in New York would be to wear a yellow Dodgers baseball cap, with the white LA lettering filled in with black marker. Doing that (or just wearing a combination of yellow and black clothes…typically black jeans and a yellow FUBU tshirt) is often a sign that a New Yorker is a member of the Latin Kings gang.

Other than that, outside of new york, wearing bandannas or other clothing of a particular color (Crips and Bloods wear blue and red, respectively) or throwing up gang signs (it kind of looks like what you would do to make shadow puppets with your hands) are other indications.

Sorry…I’m going on personal experience. (A friend of mine was sent to Newark CF in 1993, and I’ve worked with ex-gang members)

However, I’m fairly certain its been written about in Rap Pages or XXL magazine too. I’ll try and come up with a cite for it tonight.