One way eye exam

Probably all of us have had an eye exam, and those of us who wear corrective lenses are familiar with the narrow it down approach used to identify the proper prescription. That approach relies on you providing feedback to the examiner.

So, the question arose today, out of a conversation about a woman I knew who had a totally immobilising stroke and my partner having recently seen a 9 month old with glasses: how do they arrive at the proper presription when the patient is incapable of responding?

My initial WAG, of a very grey nature, was that they might use some of the technology used in some weapons aiming systems that read the operator’s eye - but I really don’t know how those work. What the heck, 2nd question - how do those optical aiming systems work?

My last eye exam involved looking into a device that shined a fuzzy light in my eye that got fuzzier and sharper and then the machine beeped and it printed out my prescription.

I think it works the same way autofocus on camcorders work, but that’s just a deductive leap type WAG. Something is looking at the picture on your retina and futzes with the settings until it is focused properly, then notes the corrections it had to make.

I agree with Doug, the last few exams I’ve had, the initial part was done with a device the I sighted thru and saw a balloon, it adjusted for a few seconds and that was it. The final was done the old way, (this better, that better???). I don’t have a clue how much better the correction was after the final part. But if the computer can actually make the best prescription, then, we just lost an entire profession.

I took Greg to the eye doctor when he was about 9 months old. The doctor just looked into his eyes with a special instrument and said he didn’t need glasses.

MaryAnn
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

I haven’t had any babies yet, so it’s not really obvious to me, but how do you know to take a ninemonth old to the eye doctor. Is he crawling around bumping into things. or is it just a regular stop on the baby doctor tour?

We live in an age that reads to much to be wise, and thinks too much to be beautiful–Oscar Wilde

If the kid is having trouble finishing that concerto because he can’t see the notes, schlep him to the eye doc toot sweet.