Opening schools

Uh, the article makes the point that arguments like yours are the anecdote. You are still missing that I approach this from the social studies angle, I was correct about how leadership matters on things like in a pandemic.

And in the end you do not debate teachers alright, you ignore that in many places in the US (and Israel) that there are elements that grossly dismiss the risks (and people that while they do not dismiss the risks they are ignoring that there are people that are teachers, parents and students too that are making it worse for others) that only make the situation worse or as the data shows, keep the pandemic going at a steady level, ready to make it worse.

My wife is a teacher, and through her I know a lot of other teachers. So I think I understand their point of view.

What they say is that although their job may not be riskier than any other job, why take the risk? They can do their jobs remotely.

What they say is this: if high tech companies like Facebook and Google have told their employees to work from home at least through the end of the year, then so should everybody whose job could conceivably be done remotely. Teachers put themselves in that category.

Although many jobs can be done remotely, not all jobs will be as efficient. The nature of tech work means that it’s often not much different working at home versus in the office. If someone spends most of the day working alone typing stuff into their computer, then it often doesn’t matter where they do it. But if the nature of someone’s job is to interact with other people, going online isn’t nearly as efficient. Yes, it can be done, but a lot is lost when gathering over a Zoom meeting compared to being in the same room. There’s hardly any difference in tech between working at home or in the office, but learning online is drastically different from learning in person.

Indeed, but as I can tell from personal experience, the problems of learning online do get worse when there is little or no resources for less well to do schools. The lack of resources issue will make a full opening a more risky proposition. And that, together with politicians that ignore those issues and demand full openings is a problem, that leads to the point made early about many local leaders doing the same as telling their soldiers to go over the top with just wooden rifles.

In the districts I work there has been a combination of increased homework together with remote instruction, with the teachers constantly helping the students online or by the phone. It works, but I can say that it can be much better.

The West Ada School District canceled school for Monday, citing too many teachers calling out sick to cover with substitute teachers.

In a memo from Superintendent Mary Ann Ranells sent to school district parents Friday, WASD announced classes on Monday, Oct. 19, are canceled due to the number of teachers who have already called out sick. The memo says out of 2,145 classroom teachers, 652 have already called out, leaving West Ada School District with 500 unfilled positions.