Operation: Fire in the Hole (too many habeneros - need recipes)

At the beginning of the summer, I decided to plant a habenero plant. I thought it would be fun to have my own source of heat for when I make salsa (which I often do), and chili (which I love to do). That accounts for about 7 peppers, which is what looked like all that was coming out of my plant as of a week ago.

But coming back from vacation last weekend, it appears that I’ll be harboring a bumper crop of several million habenero peppers (okay, maybe about 25). Not wanting these babies to go to waste, I’m looking for recipes and suggestions.

Several scores across the skin of each, put them into a bottle of good vodka, put away to infuse. A couple of months later, you’ll be drinking fantastic Bloody Marys :slight_smile:

Alternatively, do the same thing with olive oil.

They also freeze well. Wash, slice, pat dry, bag and freeze.

I second GorillaMan’s suggestions as well.

Bah, and you call yourself a Doper.

Sit down with a bowl of them, login to the SDMB, start a new thread, and begin eating and transcribing the effects. Stop only when you have surpassed Homer’s infamous mushroom thread.

Bah, and you call yourself lno. I logged in sure to find a habanero coated cutlet or at least something including pork. Maybe baby back ribs with habanero bbq sauce. But no. Please be advised you need to live up to my stereotypes in the future, good sir.

I like to make up a sauce of finely chopped habeneros, garlic, rice wine vinigar and a little sugar which keeps in the fridge for months. Invite friends round for a big chilli dinner, and freeze the left over chilli. slice one up and add to a bottle of cheapish olive oil (add dried basil, rosemary etc if you like) and leave to mature for a great dipping oil.

Does anyone here make crystalized fruits/ginger? Could you do the same with chilli peppers?

You have thrown down the gauntlet, good sir, and I accept the challenge.

Ingredients:[ul][li]4 boneless pork chops, 3/4 inch thick[]1 (12-ounce) can beer[]3 tablespoons honey[]1 garlic clove, crushed[]1 bay leaf[]1 TB peanut oil[]2 TB red curry paste[]1/2 lb pork tenderloin, sliced thin[]1 can coconut milk[]zest of 1 lime[]2 TB grated fresh ginger[]2 TB Thai fish sauce[]1 tsp sugar[]2 serrano peppers[]1 14oz can baby corn[]9 cloves garlic, chopped fine[]1/4 cup each of basil/cilantro, chopped[]1 large onion, chopped[]2 large potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, sliced thin[]3 TB olive oil[]1 batch habanero sauce (see below)[]25 intact habanero peppers[/ul]Habanero sauce:[ul][]1 cup water[]1/3 cup red wine vinegar[]1-3 habanero peppers[]1 large red bell pepper[]1 TB paprika[]1 tsp cumin[]1 tsp salt[][/ul]Chop up the bell and habanero peppers. Bring all ingredients to a boil, simmer 8-10 minutes. Puree in blender.[/li]
Directions:[ul][
]In large ziplock bag, combine beer, honey, crushed garlic clove, bay leaf. Add pork chops, seal bag, refrigerate two hours.[]Drain chops, discard marinade.[]Grill chops over medium-hot fire 8 to 10 minutes, turning to brown evenly.[]Slice chops thinly, set aside.[]Heat wok to medium high, add peanut oil, add curry paste, stir fry 3-4 minutes.[]Increase the heat, add the 1/2 pork tenderloin. Stir fry 3-4 minutes.[]Add coconut milk, lime zest, 6 cloves chopped garlic, grated ginger, bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender.[]Stir in fish sauce, sugar, serrano peppers, baby corn (drained).[]Add basil and cilantro leaves, reduce heat, set wok aside.[]In a separate pan, saute the chopped onion and potatoes in 3 TB olive oil until they begin to soften.[]Add remaining 3 cloves crushed garlic. Saute one minute.[]Add the sliced pork chops, stir.[]Add the pork curry, stir.Add the habanero sauce, stir.[/ul]Then throw all of that out and eat the remaining 22-24 intact habanero peppers and transcribe the events in a thread.

Yowza! That looks like a dynomite recipe, lno, thanks!

Sheeit, if you actually make that horrible conglomeration of recipes, take a picture first. :smiley:

Don’t forget to describe the inevitable ass-searing pain the next day.

At first glance, that’s the “Fire In The Hole” that I thought the thread title referred to!