Opossums--spawn of evil, or adorably cute?

They’re cute in the same “I still don’t want to hug it” way that rats are. I don’t have much of an opinion on them because I live too far north to see them in the wild.

I call the big one Bitey.

We had one that was living behind the garage a few months ago. Since we don’t have any outside pets to worry about I just let it go about its business. It got into it with a neighbor cat in my driveway one night, and I heard the famous possum screech full volume. It sounded like a recording of a cat being strangled that was played backwards at high speed. Totally freaky and unnerving.

After reading a story on another forum about one that Just. Wouldn’t. Die, I’m going to say spawn of evil.

Doesn’t stop them being cute, though, especially as there is very little chance I will ever see one in the wild.

::writes down all the names of people who voted “cute”:: You people make me nervous.

Cute. I don’t see many, and the few I do are usually roadkill. Sadly the last one I saw was in my yard after my dog grabbed it. Thought it was dead. That whole playing possum thing is true! So I dumped it in my garbage can. Checked a bit later and it was still alive. Seriously cute. Little black shoe button eyes and cute little pink ears and a wee pink nose. Figured it was probably seriously injured by the dog, so animal control came out and euthanised it. Poor little guy.

I agree 100%, only the raccoon is a bigger menace (among smaller animals)

They can be both. I voted accordingly.

I’d rate the coon, possum and ground hog about equal. There are just more coon. I know somebody that had large holes chewed in their roof a couple times until the coon died.

I didn’t vote, because, to me, they’re really neither. Meh. It’s just an animal. 'Round these parts they’re native (I totally understand the down-under hate for invasive non-natives) and I have a live-and-let-live arrangement with nature.

Depends on the species. Some are pretty darned cute. The US species is pretty ugly, though the first photo in this article is less ugly. And I say this as someone who thinks ferrets and domestic rats are adorable; I’ve seen opossums up close and personal, and they are ugly IMO.

I wouldn’t kill one based on looks, though.

From the Wiki article, a pic.
Now come on, that is cute. :slight_smile:

Like a lot of animals, they are cute when they are young, not so much when old and worn out. Heck, I was probably even cute at one time. Over all lifetime rating for the 'possom: cute.

Moving from IMHO to MPSIMS.

I guess I should have read the thread before voting. Apparently, we’ve got both species going on. I live in the US, and these here are ugly – long skinny nose with a bazillion razor sharp teeth. Dumber than a box of hair. We had one old one that lived in the barn of a wildlife refuge place I worked at when I was a teenager. His hips were arthritic, I guess, and he couldn’t make the bump over the threshhold some mornings, so he would just stand there, front feet in the barn, until one of us came by and gave him a boost, then he would saunter on into the barn to burrow down into the hay for the day.

I’ve always thought they were adorable. All fuzzy with cute little hands and pink noses. I had a bunch of opossum stuffed animals when I was a girl. The teeth and the naked tail don’t bother me. Yes, I think rats are cute too. :slight_smile:

My vote is based on the US species, which I think is as ugly as sin.

Well, that’s 'cause it’s a baby. It looks like Stuart Little.

Awww! I shall name her “Wossum”.

A few years ago my terrier cornered one in our yard and barked and barked until I went out to investigate. That possum was hissing and baring its teeth and was a fearsome thing to behold. So no, not cute. Not cute at all.