Oppa Gangnam Style - awesome Korean music video

Interesting that they used the borrowed Chinese word for “South”.

I had never heard of this guy until I saw the SNL skit last week. What a hoot.

It is, quite simply, the most awesome music video ever made, in any genre :smiley:

Well, even The Atlantic article admits that the satire comes from the music video much more than the lyrics. Though they do point out the somewhat odd line about slamming down an entire cup of coffee while it’s still hot possibly parodying “tough guy” posturing – unless that’s a real tough guy thing in Korea.

I’m not surprised at all, I think Korea is a bit better about it than Japan, but I think they have a large number of Chinese loan words. I do understand that Korean education at least in some small part relies on learning certain amounts of Chinese characters for use idiomatically (I’m not sure on the particulars, maybe Hazelnut can chime in). In fact, on Psy’s own sixth album cover, there’s a Chinese character on it in the title (甲) which means “armor” or “best” in some contexts (like this one – but in general, even in Japanese it can means things like “top in rank”)

They have been playing this song way too frequently on our local pop/rock station.

Korean does use a lot of classic Chinese characters. In middle school and high school we had a “Chinese Character” class, which is kind of like Latin for English speakers I suppose.

Broke LMFAOs record for most-liked Youtube video.

This song cries out to be Buffalaxed, right?

“Heeeeeeeeyyyy sex-filled lady! Op-op-open condom style!”

I love this song and the music video. I don’t know how much I’ve listened to it.

I stand corrected. This is what I get for reading YouTube comments, and not fact checking on my own.

Still, awesome song. Epic video. And Psy seems so dang nice!

Well now I’ve watched and listened to this video so much I think I’m beginning to understand Korean. What does it say on that banner in the beginning? What is that horse saying at the end?

This was much bigger than the numa numa craze in 2005

The banner in the beginning is actually in English - it just says Gangnam Style. :slight_smile: The horse is also saying Oppa Gangnam Style.

Gangnam Style dance-off escalates into gang shootout in Bangkok

Excerpt: **"Gangnam Style, by the K-pop star Psy, has inspired a West Side Story-esque show of rivalry between two Bangkok gangs who are said to have had a dance-off before engaging in a gun battle.

“The INN website reported that the two gangs were dining in the same restaurant when ‘the younger members of both groups danced provocatively at each other in the manner of top hit Gangnam Style’. The dance-off escalated into an argument and, eventually, a gun attack in the upmarket Ekkamai neighbourhood, in which one of the gangs fired at least 50 bullets from a carbine and an 11mm gun.”**

Another over-blown blame music story by sensationalistic media obviously unconcerned with facts or truth. There is no evidence that the song or the music “inspired” a gang shoot out. It was a bunch of hot headed criminals provoking each other and weapons were used. End o’ story.

Not “inspired.” Escalated from. But I take it you really love this video. :smiley:

I do, really really love it.:wink:
I said inspired because the headline said inspired.

Well, not in the headline, but okay it does mention that inside the story. But lighten up a little, as we have plenty of hotheads on the Board already.

(I like the video too.)

Thanks. The banner at the beginning is blurry, I wasn’t sure what I was seeing. I suspected that might be what the horse was saying, but I’ll have to watch the video a lot more times before I can* read *Korean.

:mad:I’m not a hothead:mad:

:stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a right purty tongue you have, ma’am.