Ordering Prime Rib...

I don’t order prime rib often because it is pricey. However, I seem to recall you cannot specify how you’d like it cooked because (to my knowledge) it slow-cooks all day…unlike other cuts of steak. From my experience, it is served rare with a seasoned or cured “crust”. Recently, I treated myself to prime rib at Outback Steak House. The waitress actually asked how I’d like it cooked. I settled for how it is, but I can’t help to wonder if they would have actually cooked it to my liking? What does the SDope have to say about this? Can prime rib actually be cooked to taste?

It depends on the slice you get. It’s a roast, so only the outside slices will be well done while it the slices get rarer as you get to the middle. So the restaurant can run out of some levels of ‘doneness’ but not others.

When it’s roasted the center can be quite rare and the ends can be more like a medium. Possibly sou vide? Just have to sear the edges.

This… and they will usually run out of the rare pieces first because if they have a piece that is less done than you want they will cut it and put it in the salamander until it gets up to your preference. A salamander is a small broiler oven. They haven’t yet figured out how to un-cook it.

I’d never heard of a salamander broiler before so I Googled it. Now you’ve got me wanting one! Except that this nice one suitable for residential use has a special introductory price that starts at only $3,295! :eek:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a place that didn’t ask how I wanted Prime rib done. I would switch my order and definitely wouldn’t go back if they forced anything past medium rare on me.

They shouldn’t run out of rare, almost all of the roast will be rare except for the end pieces. Many times all of it is rare and the outer part is seared with a torch after it is cooked. Also, salamanders aren’t necessarily small.

This. One may not be able to get one’s preferred doneness at a carving table at a reception, but restaurants will simply slice and cook a portion to your desired doneness.

And don’t just wave a horseradish root at the horseradish sauce. If it doesn’t clear my sinuses, it needs more horseradish!

Yes, my recent travels through the interwebs show that there are a few large ones. But I guess they’re small if you’re only going to spend $3,295 on one! :smiley: That one has a cooking area of 215 sq. inches. It’s almost like an extra-large toaster oven. The smallest 2-burner Weber gas grill has a primary cooking area of 360 sq. inches, the next larger, 424 sq. in.

You’d like the place where I usually get roast beef. I know their horseradish is strong but I keep forgetting just how strong. Last time the waitress came by to ask how everything was and I had just taken a moderate dollop of horseradish. I couldn’t answer because the top of my head appeared to have come off. :smiley:

Another thing restaurants will do to bump up a level of doneness is to ladle so hot au jus on the meat prior to running it out to the table. I actually prefer this method to the salamander.

Yes. I know for a fact that Outback will pan sear your prime rib. I used to order mine “blackened” (Basically, they season it, then sear the crap out of it) but I knew the cook. Not sure if they would do that for the general public. They probably would if you gave them specific instructions.

If you want a seared prime rib just order a ribeye steak, because that’s what a ribeye is.

Seared Prime Rib!?!?!? :eek:

…the horror…the horror…

Kinda defeats the whole purpose, if you ask me.

Agreed. It doesn’t take much to take a piece of meat holding at 125°F and bump it to 145°F in a hot oven. It won’t have time for the Maillard reaction to affect the rest of the slice as long as the slice isn’t being hit with direct heat. As Lemur866 said, a seared prime rib is just a ribeye steak, and there ain’t nuttin’ ever wrong with a ribeye steak (as long as it isn’t cooked past medium rare).

I disagree, by cooking it prime rib style, you are able to render the fat while still maintaining a medium rare center. You can’t do that as effectively by just pan searing a ribeye by itself. YMMV.

This is what I used to do when I was a restaurant cook.we didn’t use the salamander.

Ovens often aren’t used. There are steamers that can be used, or just dunking the slice of meat in aus jus in a steam table pan. The entire roast is usually kept very rare and at a cool temp so it won’t cook further and every cut needs some heating before serving.

Prime rib can be a good item for a restaurant. The customer will pay a premium for it even though it often isn’t actually Prime grade meat, and there’s minimal prep and cooking time and little chance of over cooking it like a broiled or grilled steak.

I used to work at a restaurant in Montgomery Twp (Cincinnati area) called Chester’s Road House, and they were known for their prime rib.

We used to get a group of nuns that came early every Friday evening for the prime rib. One of them, whom we snickeringly called “Sister Mary Elephant” was a HUGE woman. Just enormous.

She would always ask for the fat chain off the rib (blech), and she would wash it down with…buttermilk.

Yep. Super gross.

Huge elephantine woman here, and I enjoy the fat on my meat too. Buttermilk I would skip but the rest sounds good.